18 October 2008

Creamy Mashed Potatoes with Chives


The weekend is upon us once again. TGIF!!!!!!Even if you really enjoy your job it is so soothing to have an unplanned weekend where you can sleep in, do the rounds in the kitchen or simply just do whatever your little heart desires. It's on these cooler fall mornings that I love to open my eyes slowly and then huddle back underneath the covers and set the pace for the day. Do nothing...and only what you enjoy!!!!!

This dish I prepared last week for our Canadian Thanksgiving. It is my absolute favourite way to fancy up whipped mashed potatoes for any holiday feast. The Boursin cheese is garlicky and herby to give your potatoes a little pizzazz!! It also gives you more time to spend with your guests because you can prepare this dish the day ahead and just reheat.

Here's your fork....DIG IN!!!!!!!

**Creamy Mashed Potatoes with Chives**


10 medium size potatoes
1/3 cup snipped chives, about 1 bunch
1 cup milk, preferably 2 per cent or homogenized
2 T butter
1 tsp salt
½ tsp white or freshly ground black pepper
½ cup crumbled peppery or garlic-flavoured Boursin cheese



**********************
Peel potatoes and cut in half. Place in a large saucepan. Cover with warm water. Place over high heat. Cover and bring to a boil. Reduce hear to medium-low and boil gently, partially covered, until fork tender, 20 to 25 minutes.Meanwhile, snip chives. Then drain potatoes. Return to saucepan or bowl. Mash using a potato masher or put potatoes through a ricer. (The not so secret way for me to mash my potatoes is to whip them with my hand mixer into a creamy and delicious mass). Heat milk in microwave on high 2 minutes. Stir into potatoes with butter, salt, pepper, chives and Boursin cheese. If potatoes are not warm enough, stir over medium-low heat or microwave on medium.


Serves 8 - 10


UPDATE ON WORLD FOOD DAY EVENT!!

As some of you already know I do my blogging in the early hours of the morning (except on a day like this when I didn't want to leave my cozy bed and join the day). On October 16th when I posted the World Food Day roundup it would have been around 7:30 AM in the More Than Burnt Toast household. There were two more submissions that were sent later in the day that I was happy to post in the roundup. The only thing is you would have missed them...so go on back and see what Jude from The Philippines offered us from her blog Apple Pie, Patis, and Pate. For our conga line she brought this Baby Back Pork Ribs Adobo . Also Becke arrived fashionably late travelling all the way from the USA from her blog Columbus Foodie .She brings up the tail end of our conga line with a delicious recipe for an American classic Chicken Tetrazzini. Thank you so much ladies for wanting to participate in our event. We so appreciated these delicious dishes being part of our conga line of international dishes for World Food Day!!!!!!!!!! That brought us to a total of 45 dishes so far!!!!!!!

Hunger does not stop here so look forward to a continued event from my blog sister Ivy of Kopiaste. Stay tuned for the announcement...we hope you will join us in spreading the word.

Salut!!

If you enjoyed this recipe you may be interested in:

White Cheddar Garlic Mashed Potatoes

Perfect Pomme Puree

Ranch Mashed Potatoes

Garlic Smashed Potatoes Best Blogger Tips

17 comments:

  1. Those taters look fantastic! my family loves mashed potatoes this is already bookmarked!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum! There is nothing better than mashed potatoes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We've been having a lot of baked potatoes lately. I should really mash them up.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What delightful mashed potatoes! Really yumy!

    Cheers,

    Rosa

    ReplyDelete
  5. There's just something really special seeing a pat of butter on a serving of fluffy mashed potatoes. I like the combo of chives and potatoes, and I really like how you added that Boursin cheese. YUM! Great additions, too, on the World Food Entries.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh yes please! The boursin sounds like a wonderful addition to the mash Val....beautifully done.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nothing more comforting than mashed potatoes. These look so fluffy. Happy belated Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the idea of the Boursin cheese in there, I'm sure it really kicks up the flavor.

    ReplyDelete
  9. ooooh, that must taste so good with the Boursin cheese!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your mashed potatoes look so yum!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Val, I am glad you posted the last two entries. It would be a pity if we missed them, both were so good.
    I made mashed potatoes yesterday but have never found chives before and I want so much to try them.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love potatoes in any form, and these have my mouth watering!

    ReplyDelete
  13. You know that I'm a fan of potatoes as well. What a great way to do these with Boursin Cheese. I'll have to give it a try. Keep the great recipes coming.

    ReplyDelete
  14. He, he... I love to do that on Saturday/Sundays morning :D

    Those smashed potatoes must be sooo good, even with that cheese ;D

    ReplyDelete
  15. eh, i don't need a fork, but thanks for offering. i'll simply stick my face into the bowl. :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Very tasty looking mashed potatoes Val!!

    Rosie x

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh I adore Boursin! I often use the garlicky one to stuff chicken breasts as the flavour is just too wonderful. I can imagine that it takes whipped potatoes to a new level!

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to my home. Thank you for choosing to stay a while and for sharing our lives through food. I appreciate all your support, comments, suggestions, and daily encouragement.

Val

This blog uses comment moderation therefore SPAMMERS, SELF-PROMOTERS and ADVERTISERS will be deleted.