3 September 2008

The Omnivore's Hundred

Lulu over at Mama's Taverna put me in touch with this quiz...and I am always one to jump on the bandwagon. It’s a list, put together by Andrew from Very Good Taste, of 100 things he thinks “every good omnivore should have tried at least once in their life.” As Lulu says, "It’s not meant to be a list of the world’s best foods; it includes strange stuff like whole insects. It’s just Andrew’s personal idea of the variety of foods that should be tried at least once in a lifetime".
How many of these things have you tried? I have tried 68% so am not as "worldly" as I thought...but I am not dead yet!!!!!!!!!!!!!


"Here’s a chance for a little interactivity for all the bloggers out there. Below is a list of 100 things that I think every good omnivore should have tried at least once in their life. The list includes fine food, strange food, everyday food and even some pretty bad food - but a good omnivore should really try it all. Don’t worry if you haven’t, mind you; neither have I, though I’ll be sure to work on it. Don’t worry if you don’t recognise everything in the hundred, either; Wikipedia has the answers.

Here’s what I want you to do:

1) Copy this list into your blog or journal, including these instructions.
2) Bold all the items you’ve eaten.
3) Cross out any items you would never consider eating.
4) Optional extra: Post a comment here at http://www.verygoodtaste.co.uk/ linking to your results. "

The VGT Omnivore’s Hundred:

1. Venison
2. Nettle tea
3. Huevos rancheros (sorry don't eat eggs)
4. Steak tartare
5. Crocodile (in Florida..or is that alligator)
6. Black pudding
7. Cheese fondue (LOVE!!!!!!)
8. Carp (Bottom feeder...ewwwww)
9. Borscht ( beets are a fave)
10. Baba ghanoush (a great way with eggplant)
11.
Calamari (I have been jigging for squid at 4:30 AM in Newfoundland)
12. Pho
13. PB&J sandwich
14. Aloo gobi
15. Hot dog from a street cart (in Toronto)
16. Epoisses
17. Black truffle (truffle oil only)
18. Fruit wine made from something other than grapes (peach wine;also dandelion wine- but that's not a fruit)
19. Steamed pork buns (Chinatown here I come)
20. Pistachio ice cream
21. Heirloom tomatoes
22. Fresh wild berries (blackberries, raspberries, lowbush blueberries, mountain strawberries, partidgeberries, bakeapples....)
23. Foie gras (poor little ducks)
24. Rice and beans (Jamaica 'mon)
25. Brawn, or head cheese (revolting)
26. Raw Scotch Bonnet pepper (too hot!!!!!!!!!!!!)
27. Dulce de leche
28. Oysters
29. Baklava

30. Bagna cauda
31. Wasabi peas (even my friends dog eats them)
32. Clam chowder in a sourdough bowl ( not a sourdough bread bowl)
33. Salted lassi
34. Sauerkraut
35. Root beer float (root beer is not my thing)
36. Cognac with a fat cigar (don't smoke, don't intend to)
37. Clotted cream tea (clotted cream but not in my tea)
38. Vodka jelly/Jell-O (Jell-O shooters!!!!!!!!!!!!!)
39. Gumbo
40. Oxtail
41. Curried goat (Jamaica again)
42. Whole insects (NEVER!!!!!!!...oops I did eat chocolate covered ants once)
43. Phaal
44. Goat’s milk
45. Malt whisky from a bottle worth £60/$120 or more
46. Fugu
47. Chicken tikka masala
48. Eel (blah)

49. Krispy Kreme original glazed doughnut (Sorry but give me Timmies)
50. Sea urchin -tastes like the ocean bottom...just my opinion
51. Prickly pear
52. Umeboshi
53. Abalone
54. Paneer
55. McDonald’s Big Mac Meal
56. Spaetzle
57. Dirty gin martini
58. Beer above 8% ABV
59. Poutine (are you Canadian Andrew?)
60. Carob chips (mom used to buy them at the health food store!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)
61. S’mores (let's go camping!!!!!!!!!!)
62. Sweetbreads (I'll try anything once - just don't appreciate the texture)
63. Kaolin
64. Currywurst
65. Durian
66. Frogs’ legs (does it taste like chicken?)
67. Beignets, churros, elephant ears or funnel cake (what about Beaver Tails or Langos?)
68. Haggis (I was piped in carrying a haggis once on Robbie Burns Day)
69. Fried plantain
70. Chitterlings, or andouillette
71. Gazpacho
72. Caviar and blini
73. Louche absinthe
74. Gjetost, or brunost
75. Roadkill
76. Baijiu
77. Hostess Fruit Pie
78. Snail
79. Lapsang souchong
80. Bellini (my favourite - you must be Canadian Andrew or at least American)
81. Tom yum
82. Eggs Benedict
83. Pocky (great snack)
84. Tasting menu at a three-Michelin-star restaurant.
85. Kobe beef
86. Hare
87. Goulash
88. Flowers (nasturtiums are wondeful in salads; candied flowers are good too)
89. Horse (not to my knowledge)
90. Criollo chocolate
91. Spam (so 60's)
92. Soft shell crab
93. Rose harissa
94. Catfish (another bottom feeder)
95. Mole poblano
96. Bagel and lox
97. Lobster Thermidor
98. Polenta
99. Jamaican Blue Mountain coffee
100. Snake (now does this taste like chicken?)


+68%...better get cracking on some of the others. I thought I was pretty adventurous...oh well.........
Best Blogger Tips

14 comments:

  1. I didn't notice any crossed off the list. I would say that is pretty darn adventurous! I did this the other day and I certainly crossed a few off that list. No chocolate covered bugs for me! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, 68% was a Credit when I was in Uni so looks like you did pretty well!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lol - snap! I got 68% and was similarly disappointed ;)

    But I'm up to 69% now - I tried prickly pears at the weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sis, I've read this in several blogs but I wouldn't even score 10. Were they real ants? (LOL) were they crunchy?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, what a list!! That was lots of fun. It's amazing how many items there still are out there to try, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey - 68 rocks! More than me - but then I sometimes think I've led a pretty sheltered life ;-) I crossed a couple off - bugs will not do it for me, and not being into pain, scotch bonnets and Phaal were also out... Fun reading your list - thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  7. i intend to make up a list of teh cretan equivalents of these (when I get round to it) - horta wasn't on the list, and i think it is a must!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've been seeing this around on other blogs. That's interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Not too too bad! You are getting there!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Looks like you totally kicked my ass. You've eaten so many more than I have, but feel free to check out my measly 36 if you're interested. I love this list!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hey Val, glad you liked this meme and thanks for mentioning me! You are adventurous! Since this came out I've seen a Vegetarian's 100, you might want to introduce us to a Canadian's 100! :-)

    And Mediterranean Kiwi can do a Cretan's 100!

    ReplyDelete
  12. You scored very well Val! I'm with Ivy I'd be lucky to score 10 lol

    Rosie x

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've seen this list going around, it is really fun! You actually are VERY adventurous, that is the most highlights I've seen so far {by far girl!}

    ReplyDelete
  14. Valli, there's too many things in the list I don't know what they mean and too many things that are too regional... Not for me!

    I have eaten more than one mosquito while biking and talking :D :D :D

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to my home. Thank you for choosing to stay a while and for sharing our lives through food. I appreciate all your support, comments, suggestions, and daily encouragement.

Val

This blog uses comment moderation therefore SPAMMERS, SELF-PROMOTERS and ADVERTISERS will be deleted.