19 September 2008

Mini Tatin Apple Tarts Challenge

Mini Tatin Apple Tarts
I have been following the Cooking Club Challenge from the Canadian version of the Food Network blog Food for thought with their new blog host Elana for some time now. I have always been interested in what they have come up with each month to attempt from all the delicious recipes presented on their station. this month I decided to join in on the fun. You have one month to try out a specific foodtv.ca recipe. You can either follow the recipe to a "T" or make it your own with your personal twists. The club is open to everyone. No sign ups necessary. You can participate in as many or as few of the challenge as your schedule allows. This months chosen recipe challenge is Ricardo Larrivee's Mini 'Tatin' Apple Tarts with Caramel .



I have a confession to make that I was up at 4:00 AM...yes you read that right...4:00 AM preparing this dessert. I even made the caramel and then had one piece of tatin for breakfast with some lemon sorbet and blueberries. Does it attest to my age when I say that I have had this recipe on the backburner and have been too tired to make it at night after work. Am I really that ancient? Will I be rocking myself gently in my rocking chair and reading previous issues of "Over 50" magazine? Perhaps my new job at the opthalmology office with all its surgery dates is taxing my brain and zapping my energy? Perhaps it is the 3 km hike 2 nights a week and then the walking club on Saturdays? I think I am really just getting old!!!!

This was my first challenge with the club...but what a great way to start with a recipe from Quebec's Ricardo Larrivee. This is a very seasonal dish which makes it perfect for autumn nights (or in my case breakfast) which utilizes those crisp, freshly picked apples from the local orchards. It was sweet, without being cloying with a crispy underlayer of beautifully executed puff pastry.

**Mini 'Tatin' Apple Tarts with Caramel**
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 35 minutes

130 g puff pastry
1 cup sugar (250 ml)
1/2 cup water (125 ml)
4 Royal Gala apples, peeled, seeded and cut in 3/4 inch cubes (2 cm)

Caramel

1/4 cup of water (60 ml)
1 cup sugar (250 ml)
1 tablespoon corn syrup (15 ml)
1/4 cup cold semi-salted butter cut in cubes (60 ml)
6 x tablespoon 35% cream (90 ml)

Place rack in the centre of oven. Preheat oven at 400 °F (200 °C). Butter a 6 muffin tin or 6 - 1/2 cup (125ml) ramekins.

Roll out pastry. Using a cutter of the same diameter as the tin or ramekins, cut out 6 circles. Place on a sheet and refrigerate.

In a skillet, bring to boil water and sugar. Let boil at high heat until sugar starts browning. Add apples and let simmer 5 to 10 minutes, stirring frequently.

Put apples and syrup evenly in the muffin tin or ramekins. Place on a baking sheet in case the syrup spills over. Cover the apples with the pastry. Bake in oven for 15 to 20 minutes until the pastry is golden. Cover the baking sheet with parchment.

Let cool 2 minutes before removing from tin.

Serve hot with vanilla ice cream and caramel if desired.

If tarts are baked in ramekins, remove and place directly in plates.

Caramel

In a saucepan, bring water, sugar and corn syrup to boil. Cook until golden.

Remove from heat.

Add butter and stir until melted.

Incorporate cream.

Pour in a bowl and let cool.

You are reading this post on More Than Burnt Toast at http://morethanburnttoast.blogspot.com. Excerpts and links may be used, provided that full and clear credit is given to the author/owner of More Than Burnt Toast. All rights reserved by Valerie Harrison. Best Blogger Tips

21 comments:

  1. Val apples tarts has to be one of the best desserts around and yours looks perfect like looking through a bakers window!! wonderful :)

    I have an award waiting on my blog for you :)

    http://rosiebakesapeaceofcake.blogspot.com/

    Rosie x

    ReplyDelete
  2. 4:00 in the morning???? Wow Val you are hard core! It looks absolutely incredible. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. 4Am ??????You got up so early to make it and you've done justice to the Apple Tarts.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You've definitely got staying power girl! I would be a zombie at that time of the morning. Hope you win because these look fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  5. 4:00 AM!!! Wow, and then you had to go to work? In addition to having it for breakfast, I hope you had a big serving of this when you came home! This looks so delicious, I love your photo. The plate is lovely, too! Besides, you need to eat this for all the energy needs you have with all that walking and working!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Right Val, sounds like you're totally getting old and absolutely old . . . ha!!
    The tart is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You have really out done yourself this time! I have seen a lot of the Canadian programming {though not this one you are talking about} and I love the Canadian food shows that we don't get in the States -seriously. Y'all have some fine programming up there!

    Good for you for being so diligent {4 Am!}!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'll have to go back a few posts, 'cause I've clearly missed out on somethings. I had a week from hell with catering.I posted about your award yesterday, thx Val! This looks like a delight to eat!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think that's a perfectly acceptable breakfast and I would have quite enjoyed it this morning!

    ReplyDelete
  10. wow!!! 4am??? this must definitely be so worth it... :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Val, what are you talking about? Old at fifty? No way. Ok I know what you are talking about, I had some sleepless nights but it's only for a very short period of time. I never thought of getting up to cook or bake but I did watch a lot of T.V. Well, at least you made some delicious apple tarts. There is an award and a tag for you sweetie. Good luck. Hope you win.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Well, I'm in my '30s and usually up at 4 am. Give me a call next time, and we'll chat. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. This sounds really delicious Val, although I cannot believe you were up at 4 am cooking. You are mad! I understand now why you are so tired. On top of all the different things you fit into your life, you are getting up at an insane time of the morning while the rest of us are in the land of nod!

    ReplyDelete
  14. ps Your entry is up in the No Crouton's Required September Roundup. The voting poll is up and running too, for those of you who would like to vote for Val or one of the other participants.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I follow the foodtv challenges too - some are great (i.e. Michael Smith's banana brownies), and some..well, let's not go there. I love Richardo - such a sweet guy and love watching him cook. 4 a.m. is dedication. No wonder you're tired when you get home - if I woke up at 4 a.m. I'd be sleeping at work.
    These look wonderful :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm up at 4 every morning to go to work, so I must really be a ditz! haha
    I would eat this for breakfast any day ;)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love Ricardo and I've been looking at this recipe for a while now. I haven't took the time to make it yet. Looks really good Val.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Great shot of your lush tatin. I love the blue plate too. Getting up at 4 am to make tatin, makes you a real baker on real baker hours!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Yay for Ricardo! Val, I am exhausted MOST of the time, and I'm only 30 so don't feel bad! Caffeine is my friend. You did a great job with this dessert.

    ReplyDelete
  20. http://www.foodtv.ca/BLOG/archive/2008/10/01/september-cooking-club-challenge-results.aspx -- Thanks for participating! Hope you give it another try next month!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Look on the bright sied - it's only when you are older that you can have apple tarte tatin plus sorbet for breakfast and nobody yells at you :)

    Looks fantastic, at 4 a.m. or any other time!

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to my home. Thank you for choosing to stay a while and for sharing our lives through food. I appreciate all your support, comments, suggestions, and daily encouragement.

Val

This blog uses comment moderation therefore SPAMMERS, SELF-PROMOTERS and ADVERTISERS will be deleted.