7 September 2008

Blueberry Coffee Cake

After a hectic work week I think we all look forward to a nice leisurely weekend to do as we please. If we choose to go hiking, kayaking or even mountain climbing then we have to be up early but on those days when we can sleep in and have an unhurried breakfast...all the better because these days are few and far between. This Sunday morning I chose to be a sloth and bake a blueberry coffeecake. I did a little catching up with you guys..but then I headed to the beach where I can catch up with my reading. There won't be too many more days when sitting down by the water will be a relaxing way to spend a sunny afternoon...so I had better take advantage of the sunshine and warm days while they are still here.

I got the idea of the blueberry coffeecake from Cathy at Noble Pig who had made a Cooking Light recipe here which looked absolutely delicious. Since I have a freezer full of blueberries... those super heroes of the antioxidant world... I thought this would be a nice way to start the morning and healthy too!! Cathy's recipe called for buttermilk, but who wants to head to the grocery store on a Sunday morning (although you can use regular milk and just add 1 T of lemon juice for almost the same result), so I opted for an old standby recipe that I have. I used my sunflower cake pan too so this really started my day off sunny!!!!!!!Thanks for the great idea Cathy...you made my day!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

**Upside-Down Blueberry Cake**

2 T unsalted butter, softened
1 cup packed light brown sugar
2 -1/2 cup fresh blueberries
1/2 cup unsalted butter; softened,
3/4 cup granulated sugar
2 eggs
1- 1/2 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
2- 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice or orange juice
1/3 cup low-fat milk
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1 T grated lemon zest
*************************
Preheat oven to 350 F. Combine 2 tablespoons of the butter and the brown sugar in a small bowl, then spread the mixture evenly in the bottom of a lightly greased 9 inch round cake pan. Spread the berries over the mixture and set aside. Combine the flour, baking powder, and salt in a bowl. Reserve. In a separate bowl, combine the remaining 1/2 cup butter, the sugar, and the eggs, and beat until creamy smooth. Add the reserved dry ingredients, lemon or orange juice, milk, vanilla, and lemon or orange zest, and beat until well blended. Pour the batter over the berries and bake until the top is golden and a skewer tests clean when inserted in the center, 50 to 55 minutes. Remove from the oven, run a knife around the insideof the pan and invert the cake onto the plate, fruit side up. Cool slightly before serving warm.

Makes 1 (9-inch cake)
Serves 8 to 12. Best Blogger Tips

28 comments:

  1. Val, in my family this would serve the most 4. Looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Getting up on a Sunday morning and baking a cake for breakfast? That's what you call a sloth? Sleeping clear through breakfast and sending the husband out for bagels, like I do...now, that's a sloth! ;)

    That's a lovely cake, though. I might be tempted to get up earlier for a slice of that!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope you enjoy your day at the beach! I think days by the water are most relaxing! Hope you packed an extra piece of coffee cake to take with you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sis you would have to make two:D
    I am a very early riser Susan:D
    I will enjoy Jenn:D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great idea for a Sunday breakfast. I hope your day is nice and relaxed.

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh, this is delicious. i have to take something in for work....

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thats my idea of "slothing" around too! Great coffee cake Val especially with those gorgeous blueberries. Enjoy the beach!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yum Love this one. I even have all of the ingredients. This would be great to go with dinner. I guess I better get going on it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. i bookmarked this recipe, too. Now, I'll have to make it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a great way to start the morning Val, I hope you enjoyed your day!:D

    ReplyDelete
  11. That is my idea of a perfect Sunday too! A warm piece of cake with morning coffee...I can live like that!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am such a sucker for coffee cake!

    ReplyDelete
  13. A delicious cake! I never bake on Sundays... Generally, we eat one of my homemade breads which I freeze a few days ahead and get out the night before...

    Cheers,

    Rosa

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sounds like a very enjoyable Saturday. I want a long weekend!

    I like the upsidedown cake. I just saw a cherry upsidedown cake and was thinking about doing a peach cake. So many cakes, so little time.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your blueberry cake sounds like the most perfect weekend breakfast treat ever! Just look at all the gorgeous blueberries atop the moist cake - gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  16. You've got me drooling all over the keyboard....looks delicious!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Blueberry coffee cake?!?! I need it NOW!!!! Delish.

    Cheers
    David

    ReplyDelete
  18. Aaaahhh the last sunny days!!! You know? I'm desperately looking forward the first chilly autumn days! I'm tired of sun and heat!

    I love the way you set your cakes and plants and plates near the window to take the pictures... they look lovely :D

    ReplyDelete
  19. I wish I hadn't seen this, I'm hungry for a slice!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I think my son would devour this. He loves fruit and this would be just up his alley! I have to disagree on one thing though Val, you cant be a sloth if you BAKED the cake... thats hard work!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. i've seen upside down cakes using just about every fruit under the sun, but never blueberries, which is a travesty. nicely done! :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. I'm so glad you got to use some blueberries! Coffee cake and blueberries are true partners in crime aren't they! Now I'm re-inspired to make more blueberry something!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I made that recipe from CL awhile back. YUM!!! Yours looks delicious :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. The blueberry cake looks amazing! Lets pour some coffee already!

    ReplyDelete
  25. What a yummy looking treat! This would be a perfect Sunday brunch recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  26. another berry favorite of mine
    fresh berries are simply not available in crete

    ReplyDelete
  27. There is something abotu upside down cakes that I jsut can't resist - this one looks fab. And lucky you, spending the day on the beach! On the odd occasion that the sun comes out around here I dash to the garden in my bikini because I know it can't last ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  28. Blueberries are my fav fruit. You know that I could have this cake for breakfast and would be totally happy.

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to my home. Thank you for choosing to stay a while and for sharing our lives through food. I appreciate all your support, comments, suggestions, and daily encouragement.

Val

This blog uses comment moderation therefore SPAMMERS, SELF-PROMOTERS and ADVERTISERS will be deleted.