27 August 2008

Zucchini Pesto Lasagna

With all the talk about why we blog another reason comes to mind besides sharing great recipes and culminating friendships around the world. I visit your blogs also for inspiration. One kind hearted blogger I love to visit would be Ben from What's Cooking with all his delicious and inspiring dishes. In my search for innovative recipes (other than the ratatouille of previous years) to use up my overabundance of zucchini I came across Ben's recipe for Zucchini Mexican Lasagna. It reminded me of a recipe I had bookmarked that wouldn't require yet another trip to the grocery store and I could use ingredients readily available in my fridge. The added bonus here being it would use some of that zucchini!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Did I already say that...
I am on a mission to find as many out of the ordinary dishes to use that zucchini as I can. Join me in my quest. Your mission....if you so choose to accept it...would have us sharing and cooking up a storm with all those green submarines that sprout in our gardens. If only I had a source for zucchini blossoms...sigh.....

This particular recipe comes from Homestead Farms in Maryland. They have so many wonderful recipes on their site so check it out when you can. This is a nice light version of lasagna. It does not necessarily photograph well but it sure was tasty!!!

**Zucchini Pesto Lasagna**

1/2 lb. dried imported Italian lasagna
1 cup pesto
16 oz. fresh ricotta cheese, let stand to room temperature
1/2 cup plain non-fat yogurt
6 medium or 8 small zucchini
1 28-oz. can imported Italian crushed tomatoes
3 cloves garlic, peeled and chopped
2 tbs. olive oil
salt
pepper
freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
8-10 fresh basil leaves, cut into julienne
*********************
Saute garlic in olive oil in lidded sauce pan until garlic is pale gold. Add tomatoes and salt and pepper to taste and simmer partially covered for 25 minutes.

Cook lasagna according to package directions. Rinse in cold water. Drain on towels.

Blanch zucchini in abundant salted boiling water for 6 to 8 minutes (according to size of zucchini). Rinse under cold water. Slice lengthwise in 1/4 in. strips.

Combine pesto, ricotta and yogurt and blend until smooth.

Take a 9 in. x 13 in. glass baking dish and spread a small amount of tomato sauce over the bottom. Place a layer of lasagna noodles next, then spread 1/2 pesto-ricotta mixture over the noodles. Next, make a layer of zucchini strips. Spread tomato sauce over the zucchini, then add another layer of lasagna noodles. Spread the remaining pesto-ricotta mixture over the noodles, then make another layer of zucchini strips. Spread tomato sauce over the zucchini, then add another layer of lasagna noodles. Top with tomato sauce. Sprinkle with grated cheese.

Cover with aluminum foil and bake at 400 degrees for 20 minutes. Remove foil and return to oven until golden brown on top (about 5-10 minutes). Let stand 10 minutes before serving. Serve with remaining tomato sauce. Garnish with additional grated cheese and julienned basil leaves.

Serves 8 to 10.
Best Blogger Tips

26 comments:

  1. That looks wonderful. One of my favourite zucchini recipes involves far too much cream and cheese to be made regularly, but I might just treat myself some time soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ben is a wonderful inspiration val...as for your Zuchinni lasagna, I really love the addition of the pesto.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Val, create an event with theme zucchini so that we can send you our recipes. We can host it together if you like. Your recipe sounds so delicious. I had moussaka today, there you can just make moussaka with only zucchini.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds interesting and looks great. My wife loves zuchs and also loves Lasagne. Perhaps I should make this one day...

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks delicious, Val! I hadn't seen this on Ben's blog, but I definitely think I should give it a try. I actually have a Ben recipe to blog myself; I've just been so busy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. nice lasagne Val - I think the blog world is pushing me towards my first ever veggie lasagne!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Iove lasagna and this combination sounds heavenly.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This looks delicious. I love good lasagna variations.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Pesto and zucchini - mmmmm! Sounds marvellous to me. Thanks for the inspiration and for reminding me to make lasagna more often ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Zucchini Pesto Lasagna oh wow Val this would go down a storm in my household - just delish!!

    Rosie x

    ReplyDelete
  11. oh this is such a wonderful n healthy option I love lasagna, but sometimes its lovely to have a veggie version. Looks gr8 !

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh how yummy Val with the yogurt. Just delightful and creamy I bet.

    ReplyDelete
  13. The photo looks great to me! I love courgettes so this is going to be a must try

    ReplyDelete
  14. That looks yummy! I'll add it to my list! I made a zucchini pizza the other night... Mon mari turned his nose up at the suggestion... but, somehow, managed to scarf down way more than his share!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I have a couple of good ones, Val... let me find 'em.

    ReplyDelete
  16. This sounds really good. I am always looking for new ways to enjoy pesto and zucchini.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Such a great summer lighter version of lasanga. Something you don't have to feel guilty about eating!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love zucchini! I am definitely going to try this one. I love recipes that hide veggies in them.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Aaahhh! this looks so delicious!!! And healthy too!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh wow, Val! This is a truly great dish! Zucchini + pesto + lasagna? My mouth is watering. My favorite zucch recipes are fritters and soup, but there's also bread, or breaded, or crostini, or grill packets or skewers, (do I sound like Bubba from Forrest Gump yet? lol) stuffed....I could keep going you know. I looooooove zucchs. :D

    ReplyDelete
  21. oooh, this sounds marvelous! what a great alternative to the typical meat sauce version that i can't seem to move away from. :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. That looks a lovely lasagne!

    ReplyDelete
  23. LOL - you won't be single for long? hell, I should've made this years ago then.

    -DTW
    www.everydaycookin.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  24. That's sounding very good to me Val and something just a bit different too! I would never have thought of it.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I've never added zucchini to lasagne - but it sounds like a good combo. I've also seen someone use sliced zucchini instead of pasta and have been considering making that as well.

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to my home. Thank you for choosing to stay a while and for sharing our lives through food. I appreciate all your support, comments, suggestions, and daily encouragement.

Val

This blog uses comment moderation therefore SPAMMERS, SELF-PROMOTERS and ADVERTISERS will be deleted.