30 August 2008

Blueberry Lemon Poundcake

Blueberry Lemon Pouncake
Sometimes while searching the Internet you come across a recipe that is a keeper....one that you know you will add to your ever increasing repertoire of guest worthy recipes. Yesterday was a rainy Friday so my last few days of freedom were not spent at the beach with my book ignoring my nemesis housework as I would have LOVED but tidying up and of course baking.



In my Google search for berry recipes I found this one from Gourmet magazine that would use those seasonal blueberries to their fullest. You have heard it here that I would serve this cake to family or quests anytime, anywhere, any day!!!!!I was leery of the copious amounts of butter and eggs at first but decided I would give it a try.

As some of you know I have a second job at a pizza place here in town ... who make the best pizza within a hundred mile radius by the way (a visiting customer from Toronto even said so which is over 3,000 km away)!!! I took several pieces to work and my boss even asked for the recipe this cake is that moist. It's extra moistness comes from poking holes in the cake fresh from the oven and brushing with a simple syrup of lemon juice and sugar. I would make this cake time and time again it was simply that GOOD!!!!! The recipe makes one 10-inch Bundt cake. So if you have blueberries waiting for that perfect foile give it a try!


**Blueberry Lemon Pound Cake***
from Gourmet


For the cake:

1/3 cup milk
6 large eggs
1-1/2 tablespoon vanilla
2-2/3 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon double-acting baking powder
1-1/4 teaspoon salt
3 sticks (1-1/2 cups) unsalted butter, softened
1/2 cup granulated sugar
3/4 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
1/4 cup freshly grated lemon zest (up to 1/4 cup or optional)
3 cups picked over blueberries, tossed with 1-1/2 tablespoons flour

For the syrup:

1/3 cup fresh lemon juice
1/2 cup granulated sugar

In a small bowl whisk together the milk, the eggs, and the vanilla.

Into a bowl sift together the flour, the baking powder, and the salt.

In a large bowl with an electric mixer cream the butter with the granulated sugar, the brown sugar, and the zest until the mixture is light and fluffy, add the flour mixture alternately with the egg mixture, beginning and ending with the flour mixture and beating the batter after each addition until it is just combined, and fold in 1-1/2 cups of the blueberries.

 Spoon one third of the batter into a greased and floured 10-inch (3-quart) bundt pan, spreading it evenly, and sprinkle 1/2 cup of the remaining blueberries over it. Spoon half the remaining batter into the pan, spreading it evenly, and sprinkle 1/2 cup of the remaining blueberries over it. Spoon the remaining batter into the pan, spreading it evenly, sprinkle the remaining blueberries over it, and bake the cake in the middle of a preheated 350°F. oven for 1 hour to 1 hour and 10 minutes, or until it is golden and a tester comes out clean.

Make the syrup while the cake is baking:In a small saucepan combine the lemon juice and the sugar, bring the mixture to a boil, stirring until the sugar is dissolved, and remove the pan from the heat.

Remove the cake from the oven, poke the top immediately all over with a wooden skewer, and brush it with half the syrup. Let the cake cool in the pan on a rack for 10 minutes, invert it onto the rack, and poke it all over with the skewer. Brush the cake with the remaining syrup.

You are reading this post on More Than Burnt Toast at http://morethanburnttoast.blogspot.com. Excerpts and links may be used, provided that full and clear credit is given to the author/owner of More Than Burnt Toast. All rights reserved by Valerie Harrison. Best Blogger Tips

18 comments:

  1. please send me a piece - and some blueberry muffins, please!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh this does look yummy- I will have to go out and buy blueberries just to try this one!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have been trying to get all my blueberry-fixes in before it's too late, this sounds wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I want to come live at your house. Yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lemon and blueberries, how could this be anything but fantastic?!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Val, I think this would also make a perfect cake with the frozen cranberries you sent me.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm really into all these berry and citrus recipes lately.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Blueberries and lemon, that's a gorgeous combo! Can I also have a slice of that wonderful poundcake ;-P?..

    Cheers,

    Rosa

    ReplyDelete
  9. A moist cake with syrup? Mmmm...this sounds delicious. A great pairing of the blueberries and lemon...glad everyone liked it Val!

    ReplyDelete
  10. moistness. that's what i'm seeing. moistness. very nice. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. We just had a poundcake, too! There's something just so amazingly good about this classic and these flavors (the lemon & blueberry combo) sound like a real winner. It looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh WOW BV, no wonder your family and friends are such happy guinea pigs! Your food is amazing! As I browsed through the first page I kept thinking, yes, YES! This is food that I want to eat. Your food is so my style and I am going to have to be back here and pick a few {or more} to try. Thanks so much for stopping by my blog, it was a pleasure to find you and I will be back!

    ReplyDelete
  13. How delightful. I've been very busy lately and am just now catching up on all of your latest entries!

    ReplyDelete
  14. It looks gorgeous! The three sticks of butter has me a bit flummoxed, though - I might have to play around with this.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Can't wait to try that one! I have blueberries just waiting for something to be made!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh my word what a fantastic looking cake!! I think I have some blueberries in .....

    Rosie x

    ReplyDelete
  17. You came up with another beautiful dessert. Who's the lucky ones that get a chance to taste all of these?

    ReplyDelete
  18. Blueberry and lemon - what a fantastic combo. Your cake looks divine!

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to my home. Thank you for choosing to stay a while and for sharing our lives through food. I appreciate all your support, comments, suggestions, and daily encouragement.

Val

This blog uses comment moderation therefore SPAMMERS, SELF-PROMOTERS and ADVERTISERS will be deleted.