25 June 2008

Barbequed Maple Glazed Salmon Kebabs for Mmmm... Canada




















As a second entry I have forwarded this post along to Jasmine of Cardamom Addict who has organized and coordinated Mmmmmm Canada in conjunction with Jennifer of Domestic Goddess. In the past the response has been overwhelming for this event so the ladies have decided to have two categories...one for sweets and one for savory. Yesterday I gave you Strawberry Shortcake which is Canadian through and through ...right down to the red and white of the Canadian flag.
So what comes to mind when I think of savory Canadian cuisine?
Once again the answer would be as diverse as what is regional mixed in with a little bit of ethnic diversity. We eat what is available and in our own backyards lending Canadian diversity to each and every province. What are some of our traditional provincial dishes?
When visiting the province of Newfoundand I have tucked into Fish and Brewis , Cod Tongue, and bakeapples and even jigged for squid at 4:00 AM.
I have eaten Atlantic lobster at a roadside stand with a hearty helping of Grunt for dessert in Nova Scotia with a side of fries from a chip wagon utilizing Prince Edward Island potatoes.
When in the province of Quebec I have feasted on traditional tourtiere, poutine and French Canadian Pea Soup while whale watching on the St. Lawrence River and schmoozing at the Chateau Frontenac.
Growing up in southern Ontario I was lucky enough to have some of the best pork and lamb available with sides of corn-on-the-cob and every vegetable imaginable. Throw back a nice cold glass of Canada Dry gingerale, or perhaps a nice wine from the Niagara Peninsula.
Whitefish caviar and wild rice abound in Manitoba and hows about a nice Saskatoon Berry Pie, with bannock fried in canola oil in Saskatchewan while watching the latest episode of Corner Gas or Little Mosque on the Prairie.
"Where's the Beef?"....why in Alberta of course with a huge plate of perogies on the side. A little known trivia fact...What do Wayne Gretzy the hockey King and I have in common besides age? We are both lovers of perogies. We both probably eat them fewer and fewer inbetween nowadays due to the middle age spread.
Living in the province of British Columbia wild salmon from the coastal waters comes to mind and a landlocked salmon we have here in the Okanagan called Kokanee....I have fished for both. The salmon run along the Thomspon Rover near Chase is one of the natural wonders of the world where the river runs red with spawning ocean salmon. We have a smaller version here in the valley with the Kokanee which are small in comparison. Hows about a nice blackberry cobbler or a cranberry poundcake. Round off your meal with a shot of ice wine in a chocolate cup or a myriad of world class wines.
My daughter was over last night for our mother/daughter dinner and a movie last night, I decided to go completely Canadian in honour of this event co-hosted by Jennifer and Jasmine starting with Barbecued Salmon Skewers glazed with some of our own Canadian maple syrup, Wild Rice Salad with Feta , Sauteed Garlic Scapes (which really are delicious) and finishing off with Strawberry Shortcake.
Mmmmmm.....Canada!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
**Maple Glazed Barbecued Salmon Skewers**

4 centre cut salmon fillets (about 6 oz/175 g each)

For the glaze:

1/2 tablespoon unsalted butter, melted

1/4 cup pure maple syrup

1 tablespoon low-sodium soy sauce

Pinch finely ground white or black pepper

**************

Remove and discard skin from salmon; cut into 1-1/2-inch (4 cm) cubes to make 24 pieces. In small glass bowl, mix together melted butter, maple syrup and soy sauce. Beginning and ending with lemon wedge, thread salmon loosely onto 4 metal skewers. Place on greased grill over medium heat; brush with marinade. Close lid and grill, turning twice, until fish flakes easily when tested, about 10 minutes.

Serves 4

Best Blogger Tips

29 comments:

  1. AnonymousJune 25, 2008

    What a great event, I can't wait to check it out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love using maple syrup on salmon -- I too mix up a glaze, with orange juice and soy sauce, and lots of black pepper. I roast it in the oven, and after I remove the fish I boil down the glaze until it becomes syrup again, and drizzle that over all.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Delicious! I love salmon and marple syrup!

    Cheers,

    Rosa

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think Maple Syrup is such a lovely flavour! I'm practically salivating wondering how good the Salmon would taste...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Maple & salmon are a natural pairing and one of my faves.

    ReplyDelete
  6. A beautifully put together canadian dish. Very nice.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is gorgeous, absolutely!!
    Always happy to have another salmon recipe and this one looks excellent.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Salmon souvlaki sounds wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love this event!!! This recipe looks so good! I always have some good ole Canadian Maple Syrup on hand so maybe I can get around to trying this!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm beginning to feel like the world's last United States Blogger.....

    ReplyDelete
  11. Val, what a great job you did of highlighting all parts of Canada. And when we're done with all the eating we can go to George Street in St. John's, Newfoundland, kiss the cod and get screeched in :) - Woo Hoo.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love maple anything so I gotta give this a try!

    ReplyDelete
  13. You know Canada really does have some good eats and I really enjoyed reading about the ones I am familiar with in your post and also learning about some others! I so need a good recipe for poutine! Roberto and I have been saying we are going to make it some day, but can't find cheese curds...is there something to sub?

    Maple is great on ANYTHING!

    ReplyDelete
  14. AnonymousJune 26, 2008

    Maple glaze and salmon. I cannot think of a better combination. The sweetness is perfect for the salmon.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Delicious Vall, looks amazing! xGloria

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a great post--informative and gives a great idea of how one can eat, coast to coast.

    Thanks for participating!

    j

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great post ont ehr ichness of Canada. And that slamon is looking mighty tasty.

    ReplyDelete
  18. BBQ Maple Glazed Salmon Kebabs? Yum! That sounds great.

    I like the idea of taking a shot of ice wine too.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Lovely entry and a very informative post. I have friends staying over in Elore - is that anywhere near you?

    ReplyDelete
  20. A perfect dish for this event! The salmon looks great! I love maple glazed salmon.

    ReplyDelete
  21. excellent post, most informative post on canadian food

    ReplyDelete
  22. That was a fantastic roundup / summation of Canada, Valli... makes me wish for another cross-country trip! Mind you I've never had bakeapples! Maple syrup on salmon is IMO almost as good as maple syrup on salty back bacon :-)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Those sound amazing! I'm still trying to get my entry together, but it will involve wild turkey...

    ReplyDelete
  24. AnonymousJuly 01, 2008

    Looks delicious, my mum used to make something like this, thanks for the memory!

    ReplyDelete
  25. My mom adores maple and salmon, so I'm sending this recipe her way. She's gonna love it! Thanks, Val.

    ReplyDelete
  26. AnonymousJuly 02, 2008

    Great blog and the salmon sounds totally delish!

    Denise
    http://www.WineFoodPairing.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  27. That looks so good, I love salmon.

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to my home. Thank you for choosing to stay a while and for sharing our lives through food. I appreciate all your support, comments, suggestions, and daily encouragement.

Val

This blog uses comment moderation therefore SPAMMERS, SELF-PROMOTERS and ADVERTISERS will be deleted.