3 June 2008

Grilled Lamb Chops with Tzatziki


In case I haven't already mentioned this fact my daughter is back in town for the summer from university in Vancouver. Yay!!! We decided...or perhaps I decided... that it would be nice to touch base once a week and have a nice dinner, good conversation and perhaps a movie. It is so nice to have her back in K-town for these next few months. The other good thing is that she will keep me on the right track as far as eating healthy meals goes. I do fall off the bandwagon every once in a while when left to my own devices! Seeing as she is studying to be a dietician she can consider me her first case! It is nice to catch up and have a "girls night in" as well!!!

Anthony Sedlak is a fellow British Columbian hailing from Vancouver. In June 2006, he participated in and won the "Superstar Chef Challenge" on the Canadian Food Network. As part of his win his new series "The Main" was developed. Whenever I can catch his show on television I am always impressed by his delicious and flavourful recipes. Since my daughter is living on the coast for the most part these days it is fitting that I should make a dish from a Vancouverite.
What follows is Anthony's recipe for grilled lamb chops that are so chocked full of flavour. He serves these with a classic homemade tzatziki sauce. I also added a nice green salad topped with grilled asparagus and a new potato and mint salad. For dessert...grilled pineapple in a rum/butter sauce. Just a simple fare but worthy of the barbeque grill. I had wanted little "lollipop" chops to serve my guest, but when I asked the butcher for chops he gave me what I asked for. I just thought that since the rack of lamb had the bone attached I would have something to hold on to. Oh well...I will know for next time that I have to be more specific and ask for the bone to stay. Bone or no bone it did not affect the flavour of these chops which was superb!!!

**Grilled Lamb Chops with Tzatziki**

Lamb and Marinade

3 medium cloves garlic, minced
3 T fresh rosemary, chopped
1/3 cup chopped parsley (about 1/2 bunch)
2 T Dijon mustard
1/3 cup olive oil
1/2 tsp pepper
2 racks of lamb, each cut into 6 chops
1 lemon, squeezed for juice
coarse sea salt

Tzatziki
2 cups greek or whole milk yogurt, drained (500 ml)
1/2 medium english cucumber, peeled and grated
pinch salt
1 small glove garlic, finely minced
handful chopped fresh mint
coarse salt and freshly cracked black pepper, to taste
***********************************
Lamb and Marinade:

To prepare lamb combine garlic, rosemary, parsley, Dijon mustard, olive oil and pepper together in a medium mixing bowl and smear on chops. Cover and let marinate for at least on hour
Just before grilling, season lamb generously with coarse sea salt. Grill on high heat, 2-3 minutes on each side, including fat side. Squeeze lemon juice over chops while cooking. Remove from heat and let rest.

For tzatziki:

Hang yogurt in sieve or fine mesh strainer over medium bowl. Let stand at least one hour, letting excess liquid drain away.

Very lightly salt grated cucumber and let hang in same manner.

Combine thickened yogurt, cucumber, garlic and mint in a medium bowl. Season to taste with salt and pepper.

Serves 4
Best Blogger Tips

26 comments:

  1. Lamb chops are on my list of summer grilling. Can't wait, hope I can do as good as job as these look.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I caught this episode as it was his debut and as a Greek, I'd eat the whole meal he presented.

    Nicely done, enjoy many a BBQ with the the lil' Burnt Toast!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aaaaahhhh how great you've got so much time ahead to spend with your daughter... I'm sure you still spoil her ♥

    Just saw the picture for June you have on right side... Gorgeous!!!! So funny :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. AnonymousJune 04, 2008

    Great minds must think alike! I recently had a fabulous grilled lamb salad and just bought all of the ingredients to try to reproduce it.

    Your lamb chops look so mouth-wateringly delicious I can hardly stand it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So good to catch up with family and enjoy nights in. And to eat lots of good food too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. ooooh, tzatziki. all i have to do is see the word and my heart begins to race. goodness gracious, i love that stuff. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Parker: We love this recipe, it is my new "go-to"
    Peter:The Lil' Burnt Toast and I will have a great time, thank you!!!
    Nuria: My daughter and I both have a love of good food. Yes the photo was taken on the island of Kea. The children of one of the participants:D
    Ann: Can't wait to see the recipe for your lamb salad:D
    Peter G: We are eating in style:D
    Grace: Tzatziki is my favourite I think of all dips!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That looks delicious Val. Very cool that you get to spend some time with your daughter this summer!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I still have not made lamb before, but this meal looks so amazing!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lamb is always a special occasion dish in our house, but we've never grilled it. I will HAVE to give this a shot since my husband considers his father to be the "LAMB GOD" and my father in law refuses to grill anything because its "too plebeian"

    ReplyDelete
  11. It looks so good!!! I really REALLY love lamb chops!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This looks delicious! The marinade and the sauce--you and Peter have me dreaming of cooking lamb tonight!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh they look so good :)
    My mouth is watering here.

    BTW I've passed on an award to you that you completely deserve!

    Here's the link:
    http://www.thefeastwithin.com/2008/06/04/the-year-of-blogging-deliciously/

    ReplyDelete
  14. I really try to avoid saying the obligatory "this looks delicious" but Val - this looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh, I'm so happy for you that your daughter is home for the summer! Can't wait to see what you'll be cooking up! Maybe she can give us (over indulgers) some good dietary tips! ( I'm speaking soley of myself of course lol)

    ReplyDelete
  16. AnonymousJune 04, 2008

    mmm..Valli..I think you should come to texas, pick up courtney on the way, and cook for me.
    I don;t pay very well but I am quite nice...and funny...and...ummm...really deserving.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Well, these look very good. The lolipops would be so cute, though!
    I don't know if cute is the right word.
    Anyway...next time.

    I would love to visit Vancouver. I like your new quiz.
    Say hi to your daughter!

    ReplyDelete
  18. The marinade is beckoning to me Val...bookmarked to betried after the next trip to the butcher! What beautiful flavours...splendid!

    ReplyDelete
  19. There are few things better than grilled lamb chops. I prefer a loin chop on the bone. delicious!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. AnonymousJune 05, 2008

    Looks delicious. I have grilled part of a boneless leg of lamb before, but never some chops. I should try it.

    ReplyDelete
  21. We're having grilled lamb chops tonight - I just love them!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I've been saying to myself that I need to make tzatziki at home but I'm scared that it won't be as good as it is in restaurants! So I'm saving this recipe to try. Those pineapples you had for dessert sound so tasty! And yaey for having your daughter home. :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. As always looks great.My husband loves lamb so I think I should try this recipe.
    Congrats on your award Val :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. What a simple and tasty sounding meal!

    ReplyDelete
  25. You always seem to eat healthy based on your dishes. That griiled lambchop looks awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  26. i know it's years after the original post but i made these the other day and just wanted to say they were absolutely delicious and are now on my summer bbq list

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to my home. Thank you for choosing to stay a while and for sharing our lives through food. I appreciate all your support, comments, suggestions, and daily encouragement.

Val

This blog uses comment moderation therefore SPAMMERS, SELF-PROMOTERS and ADVERTISERS will be deleted.