23 June 2008

California Dreaming with Sushi Rolls


There are a few events in the blogosphere that I try not to miss. One such event is the brainchild of Nicole (aka Myamii) over at For the Love of Food . She is a young mom from the States who has been living in Germany for the past 5 years. I love to visit her site for all the delicious recipes as well as tidbits of very helpful information. She even has an on-line store with wonderful kitchen gadgets and gourmet foods. If you haven't had the chance to visit please take the time...you will be glad you did.

The premise of the Taste & Create event is simple... we are paired with another blogger... we choose a recipe from their extensive posts...we prepare the dish and then... blog about it. I love this event because I am able to showcase someone else's blog, a favourite dish or just rave about a blogging friend. The blogosphere is filled with delicious recipes that are piling up waiting for me to try. It's time to get some of them out from the blogosphere and into my kitchen!!!! Taste & Create allows me to to do just that each and every month!!! What could be better!

This month I have been paired with Allison Day who is a dancer blogging out of California on her blog Sushi Day. As the name suggests, it is all about SUSHI. If you have never made sushi before her site is where you need to go for innovative and traditional sushi as well as the basics of rolling and preparing the fillings, etc. It is for the beginner and the more advanced alike.

Since I was pressed for time with working mega hours at the Easter Seal Camp this summer I opted for making California Rolls. It is fitting I thought because Allison lives in California. As she mentions California Rolls are not traditional sushi but they sure hit the spot!!!

To see Allisons original recipe for California Rolls start here . From there branch out and learn to make maki, nigiri and many other delicious tradional and non-traditional sushi. Allisons California rolls were "scarfed" down by my daughter and I, dipped in a little wasabi and soy sauce.

**California Rolls**

6 sheets of nori
3 cups sumeshi (sushi rice)
1 medium avocado
1 cup imitation crab
1 small cucumber
¼ cup mayonnaise (to taste)
sesame seeds

*****************************
Cook sushi rice.
Mix imitation crab and mayonnaise, separating crab pieces and mashing into smaller pieces.
Cut the avocado in half, discarding the pit.
Cut off the hard skin and discard.
Slice the avocado into thin sticks.
If you choose to use cucumber, slice it into long, thin sticks.
Using avocado sticks, cucumber(if desired), and the imitation crab mix as your fillings, roll and slice the sushi.
Garnish with sesame seeds, and serve with wasabi, shoyu, and ginger (if desired).
Best Blogger Tips

16 comments:

  1. Hmm, it's been a couple of weeks since my last sushi fix...will have to indulge soon.

    I'm going to one day try my hand at homemade sushi...you've inspired me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. here;s something i'd like to have sometime, but cant get in crete!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks so good right now, you have no idea. I haven't had really great sushi since visiting Chicago. And while I've watched many TV foodie shows about making your own sushi, I never have for some reason. This post reminds me that I ought to change that, and soon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love sushi...I actually took my husband to my favourite lunch place this weekend... but it was closed. This look fresh and healthy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my gosh!! I love sushi! I have made it before, so much fun!

    ReplyDelete
  6. AnonymousJune 23, 2008

    Oh so beautiful and yummy. What a great event!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I usually don't like sushi, but California rolls are good. I like the combination of avocado and rice. Actually it's a staple in Peruvian food, I think.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I don't eat "real sushi" so this is one of my favorites!!! Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  9. AnonymousJune 23, 2008

    California rolls are a favorite of mine. I didn't know they had mayo in them though. Very interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Val, I had a very bad experience with washabi. Never want to try it again.

    ReplyDelete
  11. AnonymousJune 23, 2008

    Fabulous-looking rolls! One of our favorite warm weather meals... and so fun to make!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I always loved sushi, sashimi and everything Japanese. Alas...I'm not allowed to eat it anymore...I feel deprived.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Dipped in a little soy and wasabi sounds so good! I have actually never had sushi. My boss tells me that I can't get it here and like it. I may have to just try making it myself and see if I like it!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Never liked sushi much,but your california rolls look very appealing.

    ReplyDelete
  15. AnonymousJune 24, 2008

    Oh these look wonderful! I'm entirely lazy when it comes to making sushi at home... in fact, I'll be heading out momentarily to get some at a restaurant. But I can't wait to check out Allison's blog!

    ReplyDelete
  16. AnonymousJune 26, 2008

    wow, you were brave with your choice of dish valli. or maybe you didn't have much choice!

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to my home. Thank you for choosing to stay a while and for sharing our lives through food. I appreciate all your support, comments, suggestions, and daily encouragement.

Val

This blog uses comment moderation therefore SPAMMERS, SELF-PROMOTERS and ADVERTISERS will be deleted.