19 May 2008

Avocado Tzatziki


















Not that long ago I was lucky enough to win a cookbook from Elly of Elly Says Opa . She is a talented cook from the States of Greek descent. The cookbook I won is now a vital part of my collection Cooking From the Hip by Cat Cora.

 
In the last couple of years Cat Cora has become a familiar face on television's Food Network. She can be seen on Kitchen Accomplished, and co-hosting Melting Pot with chef Rocco DiSpirito. Cat also joined the Food Network's Iron Chef America series. The show is an American version of the Japanese cult series Iron Chef which pits culinary celebrities against each other. Until now, all the Iron Chef contenders were men.

 
Cat Cora grew up in a Greek-American community in Jackson, Mississippi. Her Mediterranean-flavoured dishes show the influence of both her Greek and American roots.This is the second of many recipes I will feature throughout the next few months by this talented chef.

 
When Elly sent me this cookbook she happened to mention the recipe for Avocado Tzatziki. I was definitely intrigued. What else could I do but give it a try!!!!! It appealed to me as well since I love tzatziki and all things Greek!!!

 
Cat Cora says, "Think of this as a California twist on a classic Greek condiment. Adding avocado to the tzatziki gives it a richer flavor and color. It would be excellent with any kind of grilled food such as lamb, chicken, pita, meatballs (keftedes) and fried fish."

 
In my previous post I served it with a classic Greek dish by Peter at Kalofagas . His recipe for Cheese Stuffed Keftedes is a definite keeper. My daughter loved this version of tzatziki as well and took half of it over to a pool party she was attending. The avocado adds another dimension to the dip creating a silkiness and lightness that is unexpected. Cat adds it in chunks, but , I preferred to mash it for a more creamy texture. Today I served the leftovers with some pita breads and crackers for a nice refreshing dip with...as Cat says... a "California twist".

 
** Avocado Tzatziki**
  • 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
  • 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
  • 1 teaspoon minced garlic (about 1 large clove)
  • 1 teaspoon kosher salt
  • 2 cups plain yogurt (or low-fat)
  • 1 cup peeled, seeded and grated cucumber (about 1 medium cucumber)
  • 1 whole peeled avocado, diced small

Add lemon juice, olive oil, garlic and salt to the yogurt. Add grated cucumber, diced avocado and mix well. Chill for at least one hour.
Best Blogger Tips

31 comments:

  1. What a great addition to one of my favourite dips!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for posting this Val..it looks really refreshing. I love avocadoes and I def will try it with this version of tzatziki.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks so gorgeous for summer. I love, love, love tzatziki and love avocados. I will definitely have to try this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. AnonymousMay 19, 2008

    Tzatziki is great. How does the flavor of this compare to the original? Very different? Or similar but with a twist?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks delicious, Val! I have yet to try this but I'm hoping to soon. I have way too many bookmarked recipes, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Val, thank you, thank you, thank you~!~

    I'm really diggin' the avacado twist on Tzatziki...I will suprise friends with this in the summer.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sylvie, Peter G, Jen, Andy: I really enjoyed the avocado version of tzatziki. The avocado gave the dip a silkiness and lightness that makes it a perfect dip.
    Elly: When the book arrived this recipe popped out for me:D
    Peter M: Give it a try everyone, you will be happy with the results!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nummy, that sounds really really good! I love the addition of avocado!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lovely twist - looking forward to giving this one a go :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I can't wait to make this, Val!
    And I love Cat Cora. She's my fave Iron Chef. There's a nice article about her in the June issue of "More" magazine.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh that's weird, I'm sure I cam here looking for chocolate souffles, not that I mind tzatziki though!! Especially when you put acocado in it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. The chocolate souffle recipe is coming Nic:D Google posted it before its time...although I know I told it to do so:D

    ReplyDelete
  13. That looks so incredibel Val. I happen to have all of the ingredients on hand. May just have to give this one a go!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have bookmarked this recipe: thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  15. holy mackerel, this is a great idea! i adore both avocados and tzatziki, and i think the combination of the two would be sensational! thanks for bringing this to my attention--three cheers for cat cora! :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a lovely alternative tzatziki! I made the usual one last week with cucumber, but this looks amazing, thanks!

    Cheers
    David

    ReplyDelete
  17. AnonymousMay 19, 2008

    I found the nicest bunch of avocados over the weekend and picked up quite a few. Luckily, I have everything else on hand to give this recipe a whirl. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love anything with avocado! (And I have those same crackers from Costco!)

    And Mark Bittman is one cool dude. His book has been my lifesaver. Check him out!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Great post Val! The wife and I were just (literally last night) talking about doing something with my tzatziki sauce for my sister's graduation party this coming weekend.

    This is it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh wow Val thanks for posting, just love this Avocado Tzatziki.

    Rosie x

    ReplyDelete
  21. Another new chef I've never heard of...Must get with it over here in the sticks!
    Love the avocado in the Tzatziki.. It must make it soooo creamy.
    Now, all I need do is wait for the cukes to grow!

    ReplyDelete
  22. This is something I shall definitely try. Val must the avocado by ripe?

    ReplyDelete
  23. An interesting twist on a classic dish. Thanks Val!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Avocado tzatziki sounds really interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  25. That sounds fabulous. I love the way you used it in the previous post. It looks so good!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Cat Cora is actually on my dvr right now doing the honey challenge! The Avacado Tzatziki looks very yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  27. I don't know why I bother to star your recipes... I end up starring practically every post of yours. I should just do my weekly menu planning by copying what you ate the week before.

    ReplyDelete
  28. That's such a great recipe. I wrote it down already and will try tonight. Thanks for posting, Valli!

    ReplyDelete
  29. That looks so rich and creamy, Valli!

    ReplyDelete
  30. I love the avocado twist Val, as well as your stunning photo!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Hi Val,

    Hmm. Interestingly enough, I was just flipping through a Greek language cookbook published in 2000 which includes a recipe similar to this one - an Avocado "Tzatziki" sauce. Seems like it's not exactly a new "California" version of tzatziki after all...

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to my home. Thank you for choosing to stay a while and for sharing our lives through food. I appreciate all your support, comments, suggestions, and daily encouragement.

Val

This blog uses comment moderation therefore SPAMMERS, SELF-PROMOTERS and ADVERTISERS will be deleted.