13 April 2008

Tried, Tested and True

English Muffin Loaf
We all have a few recipes that we consider to be crowd pleasers and never fail to get rave reviews from our guests or family. These are the recipes that we would consider to be tried, tested and true. When that dinner comes along and we have a houseful of guests it is not the time to be experimenting....that is just too stressful...unless of course that is the purpose of the meal and your guests know they are your Guinea pigs. As we all know not all experiments turn out well!!

Psychgrad and Giz of Equal Opportunity Kitchen are a mother and daughter team from Eastern Canada...my old stomping grounds in Ontario... that share their love of good food and family on every page. My own daughter shares my love of cooking but not my love of blogging, although you will see the occasional recipe of hers on here as well...albeit posted by me. I am quite envious really!! P & G have come up with an event called Tried, Tested and True which I positively couldn't miss. I can't wait to see the lineup of reliable and no fail recipes out there!!



This recipe may look familiar to some as I have posted a Cheddar version before. My sister and I have been making this English Muffin Loaf since we were teenagers and sent away for the recipe from the Fleischmann Yeast Company. I make it periodically and as my sister says it just wouldn't be Christmas in her home without it. It never fails to please family and quests alike. So what makes this recipe tried, tested and true? The verdict is out and two of my blogging friends have given it a 2 thumbs up! The infamous and ever talented Susan at Sticky, Gooey, Creamy, Chewy and my old friend Belinda (who hasn't been around for a while...we miss you Belinda!) of What's Cooking in a Southern Kitchen both posted about this recipe. Susan made hers in a beautiful round pottery container. Please check out both of these ladies blogs. I could spend hours reading and laughing and enjoying good recipes on their sites.

This recipe brings to mind my British roots with English Muffins at the table at breakfast time. An English muffin has all kinds of nooks and crannys for the butter to seep into. That is also true of this loaf. There is no kneading involved and only one rising in this loaf so it is just so much simpler!!!

** English Muffin Loaf**

1 tablespoon sugar
1/2 cup warm water (110 degrees F)
2 envelopes Fast Rising Active Dry Yeast
2 cups milk
2 teaspoon salt
6 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon baking soda

Dissolve sugar in warm water. Add yeast and let stand 10 minutes then stir well. Combine milk and salt in saucepan. Heat over low heat until lukewarm only. Add milk mixture to dissolved yeast.

Add 3 cups flour combined with baking soda. Mix until smooth. Stir in enough of the remaining 3 cups of flour to make a stiff batter.

 Divide batter in half and press into two 8-1/2 x 4-1/2-inch loaf pans, that have been greased and sprinkled with cornmeal. Sprinkle tops with cornmeal and cover.

Let rise in a warm place 45 minutes or until centre of loaf is about 1-1/2-inches above edge of pan. Bake at 400F for 25 minutes.

Remove from pans and cool. To serve, slice and toast. Spread with butter or your favourite preserves.

You are reading this post on More Than Burnt Toast at http://morethanburnttoast.blogspot.com. Excerpts and links may be used, provided that full and clear credit is given to the author/owner of More Than Burnt Toast. All rights reserved by Valerie Harrison.
Best Blogger Tips

34 comments:

  1. This is a great idea. I love the fact that theres no kneading. As much I love breadmaking, thats the part that deters me when Im pressed for time or energy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I try to be good and eat brown bread, but every now and then my cravings for a white fluffy loaf just win over. Yours looks just perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can see the holes like in English Muffins...all the better for catching that melted butter.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This recipe may just be simple enough for me to try making my first loaf of bread. Plus, the fact that it is tried, tested and true is motivating.

    Thanks for the great submission to our event! This type of recipe is exactly what I had in mind.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love proven bread recipes. I'll try to find a link to my current fave that I got from the Long and Short Reviews site - it was one of their Friday recipes. Also, I think you might have been looking for my borsch recipe before my hiatus? If you were, and didn't find it, just let me know and I'll send you a copy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This sounds so easy Val. I love that there is no kneading in this as well. This is going to the "must try" list.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can certainly attest to the fact that this is a terrific recipe, with or without the cheese! I've made it several times and it is becoming "tried and true" over in SGCCland too! Thanks for sharing it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am most definitely going to try this one! Thanks for coming by my blog, I look forward to more great things from you. The preserved lemons are going to be done as well!!
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'll take some orange marmalade on mine Val! what a great breakfast that would be.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The rewards are obvious from taking the time to make a homemeade loaf Glaha as you already know:D
    I could have this for breakfast every day Sylvie, but my hips would not thank me:D
    I usually have this with only melted butter Peter:D I'm sure it is good with jam too:D
    I am glad you feel this is what you were looking for Psychgrad:D
    Thank you ever so much Jen:D
    If you enjoy English Muffins you will love this loaf Peter G:D
    Thank you Ben...making bread is a reward in itself:D
    We should live closer so we can share a slive over tea in SGCCland Susan:D
    Thanks for visiting Mary:D
    It would be delish with orange marmalade Marie:D

    ReplyDelete
  11. OK I'm bookmarking yet another one of your recipes. I'm sure I've told you this before, but your skillet lasagna is swiftly becoming a tried tested and true recipe for my entire family. Even my husband made it for me while I'm recovering!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I used to make a microwaved version of this bread... so so good!! I love your blog and nominated you for an award at my site. The link is here: http://yummysmells.blogspot.com/2008/04/bittersweet-well-mostly-sweet.html. Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow Val, it looks so easy!!! As Psychgrad, I could try with your recipe to start with my first bread... why is it taking me so long to start baking?

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh this sounds & looks really good Val. You can't beat a muffin oozing with butter - scrummy :)

    Rosie x

    ReplyDelete
  15. Mmmm...I love a good homemade bread. I need more time to bake! This looks simple and tasty. Definitely hope I can squeeze it in sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  16. While I don't normally have time to bake bread from scratch (I tend to cheat and use a bread machine-at least it makes the house smell delightful,) this recipe sounds quick and simple enough that I think I'll give it a go. I can just imagine it served with homemade honey butter, yum!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love tried, tested and true recipes. This one sounds like a true winner!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I can smell that bread from my kitchen. This is nice not to have to knead. I like quick breads. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Baking bread is so rewarding and this recipe looks like a winner!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I've made this several times since discovering the recipe here (the cheddar version), and it's always absolutely delicious. Easy to make and the house smells fanTAStic afterwards!

    ReplyDelete
  21. This sounds like my kind of bread. And of course, there is nothing like the smell of freshly baked bread.

    ReplyDelete
  22. It is a good idea to make this into a loaf instead of muffins! I can taste it now, especially still slightly warm with the butter all melting, mmmmm :)

    I absolutely love that plate and fork!

    ReplyDelete
  23. This is one f my favorites..because i can get up early, mix it up and let it rise while I check email and balance checkbook..have it ready by the time eveyone else gets up for breakfast!
    Great one Valli!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I really like English muffins and making your own sounds like fun!

    ReplyDelete
  25. oooh yum. i love the sound of the cheddar bread. i have saved the recipe to try for myself. can't wait.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Val! I made this over the weekend!! I omitted the cheddar as well, as per Susan's post at Sticky Gooey Creamy Chewy. What an amazing recipe you have here, my dear. This one is going into regular rotation! IT's so FAST! And way easier than the individual muffins. :) Love, love, LOVE this recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Super idea and a great entry.

    ReplyDelete
  28. What a great-looking recipe! I really want to try it-- as Jack said, "ooh... English Muffins, but you can have as many slices as you want!"

    ReplyDelete
  29. Ooo I'm going to have to try this. I wonder - does it taste like an english muffin? Hmm. I'll have to try and see.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Liked this one very much! Will try it tomorrow itself! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  31. I just made it with mashed bananas:) added to your recipe. It tastes quite nice with just a little sweetness to it!

    ReplyDelete
  32. I love reading your blog - thanks for sharing such beautiful pictures and recipes!

    This week I attempted the cheddar version of your bread and ran into a few problems. What type of milk do you use (whole or reduced fat) and what type of cheddar - should I have used sharp?

    For some reason my dough never hit the "stiff" stage. I went ahead and put it in the loaf pan to rise anyway. I leveled it in the loaf pan - was I supposed to put it in a ball?

    I guess you can tell I am new to baking :)

    It was moist, but my husband and I could not taste the cheddar, so I thought maybe I should have used a sharp version.

    Thanks for any help!

    ReplyDelete
  33. I so miss English Muffins in India - I loved them when I was in the US - and so absolutely have to make this loaf. I'm just wondering if I can do away with the cornmeal since we don't get it here?

    ReplyDelete
  34. i tried it and it was delicious! thank you... posted about it -
    http://arundathi-foodblog.blogspot.com/2008/08/english-muffin-loaf.html

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to my home. Thank you for choosing to stay a while and for sharing our lives through food. I appreciate all your support, comments, suggestions, and daily encouragement.

Val

This blog uses comment moderation therefore SPAMMERS, SELF-PROMOTERS and ADVERTISERS will be deleted.