22 April 2008

Easy Cheese Danish by the Barefoot Contessa


It seems like months ago now that I put a poll up on my side bar to see who your favourite Food Network star was. Finally after all this time I am posting a recipe from your choice Ina Garten, the Barefoot Contessa herself, who won by a landslide. And yes there will be a new poll up in the near future if you're interested in that kind of thing. The name Barefoot Contessa comes from a specialty food store Ina had in the late '70's in Westhampton Beach.

This recipe comes from her cookbook "Barefoot Contessa at Home". She says, "Home is wherever Jeffrey is." You can prepare these Danish the night before and bake them in the morning to be eaten warm with a cup of special coffee or herbal tea. For an extra special treat you can drizzle them with some nutella mixed with a tablespoon of cream and heated in the microwave.

I am presenting this dish for a quick and easy breakfast meal for this months Waiter There's Something in My..." event. This innovative event is hosted alternately by Jeanne of Cook Sister!, Andrew of SpittoonExtra and Johanna of Passionate Cook . This month Johanna's choice is to find that perfect breakfast food.

Perfect breakfast food to me needs to be quick and easy so that you can carry on with the rest of the day without being under a mountain of preparation or dishes... but... the comfort stays with you for the rest of the day. These Danish make a memorable breakfast. Serve with a fruit salad and you have a breakfast special enough for company and yet quick enough to wolf down on a harried week day. To me this is perfection!!

**Easy Cheese Danish**

8 oz cream cheese at room temperature
1/3 cup sugar
2 extra large egg yolks, at room temperature
2 T ricotta cheese (I used mascarpone)
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
1/4 tsp kosher salt
1/2 - 1 T grated lemon zest (2 lemons)
2 sheets (1 box) frozen puff pastry, defrosted
1 egg beaten with 1 tablespoon water, for egg wash
*************************
Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line a sheet pan with parchment paper.

Place the cream cheese & sugar in bowl of an electric mixer fitted with paddle attachment and cream together on low speed until smooth. With the mixer still on low, add the egg yolks, ricotta, vanilla, salt, and lemon zest and mix until just combined. Don't whip!

Unfold one sheet of pastry onto a lightly floured board and roll it slightly with a floured rolling pin until it's a 10x10 inch square. Cut the sheet into quarters. Place a heaping tablespoon of cheese filling into the middle of each of the 4 squares. Brush the border of each pastry with egg wash and fold two opposite corners to the center, brushing and overlapping the corners of each pastry so they firmly stick together. Brush the top of the pastries with egg wash. Place the pastries on the prepared sheet pan. Repeat with the second sheet of puff pastry and refrigerate the filled Danish for 15 minutes.

Bake the puff pastries for about 20 minutes, rotating the pan once during baking, until puffed and brown. Serve warm.

Makes 8 Danish
Best Blogger Tips

29 comments:

  1. Your pastries look so cute, Val :D
    When you talk about all these chefs... I know none! Only know about José Andrés who is now in Washington and has his own tv. show. I like the way he cooks, do you know him?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It doesn't come as a surprise that Ina would win your poll. I've had good success with dishes.

    You on the other hand have just made me hungry with this danish...naughty-naughty!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i have only recently discovered the barefoot contessa - and if all her recipes are as indulging as this, i will certainly buy a book! thanks for participating in WTSIM, it's going to be an amazing spread!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm afraid that I have not heard of José Andrés until today Nuria. He is on the Food Network in the States.. “José Made in Spain.” We do get some American chefs but we have to have a certain amount of Canadian content for our networks to get funding:D
    You know you want to Ben:D...maybe next month..these were just to good to pass up:D
    Ina's recipes are always reliable Peter my brother:D
    I am looking forward to the round up Johanna:D

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'll walk "barefoot" in the night to the kitchen to steal some more of these. They look so tasty.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow. Homenade danish. Delightful.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mmm. I love Ina. I love cheese. I love danishes. Looks good to me :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love a good cheese danish for breakfast! They look wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Bravo! I've made these cheese danish and can vouch for the fact that they are indeed easy and delectable! Ina Garten is one of my all-time favorite cooks. I have yet to have any of her recipes fail me in the kitchen, and for that I am grateful.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That looks surprisingly easy to make for how delicious they look. That's definitely a good way to start the day! Yum

    ReplyDelete
  11. Looks awesome. I really like her. I'll have to try her brownies someday.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow, I never imagined making cheese danish myself. I'm going to try this because Ina's recipe's always turn out so great.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I think I'd be quite content having these at any time of the day.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Such lovely pastries. A most satisfying breakfast indeed. I think breakfast is quite likely my favorite meal of the day.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oooh, these look fabulous! I love that you can make them ahead of time too. I have family coming to stay in a couple of weeks for my baby shower, and I'm hosting a brunch baby shower in a few months so these would be perfect! Thanks for posting.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Those danishes looks so cute and delicious! I definitly love lots of Ina's recipes!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I have this cookbook. Why did I never notice this great recipe before? Cheese danish is one of my all time favorite things to have with my coffee! I can't believe that this is so easy to make! Guess what I'm having for breakfast tomorrow! Thanks, Val!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Cheese danish sound really good.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Love it with the mascapone Val, they look great!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. These look so great! So perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love Ina! I have this cook book, but I have not tried these yet. I might just have to make them this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Danishes are something I would pick up often in the mornings in NY- gosh, I can't remember when I last had one. They were usually sweet ones though *giggles* cheese danish suits me fine too ;)

    ReplyDelete
  23. It looks so delicious. I have copied your recipe to try.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I can eat these for breakfast, lunch and dinner. They look delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Those look awesome!
    When I was little we used to stop at a bakery on the way home from church adn pick up danishes, cherry was my favourite.

    ReplyDelete
  26. No surprise that Ina would lead in your poll -- most of the food network stars don't know much about cooking, and her food is just sooooo good.

    ReplyDelete
  27. What delicious looking pastries Val. Gosh I bet they taste so good :)

    Rosie x

    ReplyDelete
  28. I could murder for one of these right now! Especially as I'm trying to eat less of these type of goodies.

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to my home. Thank you for choosing to stay a while and for sharing our lives through food. I appreciate all your support, comments, suggestions, and daily encouragement.

Val

This blog uses comment moderation therefore SPAMMERS, SELF-PROMOTERS and ADVERTISERS will be deleted.