17 March 2008

Spinach Salad with Strawberries for Mingling




The Monthly Mingle is the brainchild of our founder Meeta at What's For Lunch Honey . This month the mingle is being guest hosted by Abby of Eat The Right Stuff. The theme for this months mingle is Spring Fruit Sensations . I have been thinking of Spring for some time now with the fresh rhubarb and California strawberries at the market. It will be another month before we have local rhubarb and 2 months before strawberries...who can wait!!!!! I am jumping ship for this event and using fruits that are not locally grown...but...heh... nothing is locally grown this time of the year... so... I am using what is available to me now. Does it count if I purchased them at a local green grocers and not at one of the chain supermarkets?
For the mingle I decided upon one of my favourite salads...ENJOY!!
I have also been tagged for a 5 Things MEME by my friend over at Vanielje's Kitchen . You should see the amazing and artistic desserts that come out of her kitchen; here is an example. I am just flabbergasted!! Easter is this coming weekend and my daughter is travelling from university to be here for the long weekend. I am busy preparing all her favourites and some new taste sensations I'd like her to try as well. Thank you for thinking of me and I will try and participate if I can think of anything interesting to say about myself that I haven't already mentioned.

**Spinach Salad with Strawberries **

For spiced pecans:
1 cup pecans
1 egg white
3/4 tsp vanilla
1 cup sugar
1 T water

For dressing:
1 cup salad oil
1/3 cup cider vinegar
1/4 cup sugar
1 T poppy seeds
1 tsp salt
1 tsp dry mustard
1 tsp celery seed
2 T corn syrup

For salad:
6 cups fresh spinach, washed and dried
2 cups strawberries, sliced (or any fruit desired for color)
3/4 cup red onion, thinly sliced
1 cup fresh mushrooms, sliced

***********************
Make spiced pecans. Beat egg white until very frothy, but not stiff. Add remaining ingredients, excluding pecans. Now add pecans and mix to coat. Spread pecans on baking sheet in single layer and bake in a preheated 200 degree oven for 45 minutes, turning every 15 minutes.

For dressing, shake together all ingredients. Toss together salad ingredients. Toss dressing with salad just before serving, sprinkle dressed salad with pecans.

Serves 6
Best Blogger Tips

26 comments:

  1. One of my favorite salads.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now see, it's the beautiful food that you make like this salad here that really make me wish I liked fruit. Maybe this summer I'll make it. My husband may faint from shock though. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're like the blog-event queen!! I love a good spinach & strawberry salad :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. spinach salad is right up there as a favourite and the strawberries only enhance the salad. Such a refreshing and satisfying salad.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've only just recently been enjoying salads with strawberries and the tart/sweet/savory that's all in the salad is unique and wonderful.

    Pecans? I'm sold.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love strawberry salads in spring. My fave, based on what my CSA produces is spring greens, strawberries, radishes, olive oil, vinegar, lots of pepper, some salt and mint.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks delicious and you know just where I stand on strawberries! I'm still trying to make the most of the winter crop down here while I can...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Strawberry spinach salads are just delicious! What a wonderful combination!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That salad looks incredible. Definitely on the menu this week!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Just wonderful! Screams spring and "eat me!" I hope you have a terrific time with your daughter when she is home...she's a lucky girl!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This salad sounds wonderful Valli! Perfect for springing into Spring!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have a very similar salad recipe that is probably my favorite! I'm so excited for Spring!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. You're quick to get your recipe done!!! I'll be thinking for a few weeks now!

    Salad sounds very tasty! Great work!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This sounds good. Anything with mushrooms is sure to get my attention :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Vall, this salad looks son wonderful and yummy!!!!The picture looks so beauty.xxGloria


    Vall, would you like to see at my Blog a recipe I made to Festa Italiana??? If yes, go to my blog later.

    ReplyDelete
  16. that is one gorgeous looking salad , thanks for sharing it for the monthly mingle.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I use strawbs in salads in my children's food presentations and it often brings the odd, 'what are you doing?'.

    Lovely

    x

    ReplyDelete
  18. Your spinach salad looks great too Val! I like the addition of mushrooms in yours!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Nice looking fresh Spring salad. The pecans sound really interesting. We are still buried in snow here... I will have to grab some of the imported strawberries and enjoy a hit of Spring a bit early.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wow, the salad looks delish! I just got strawberries this week on sale, this will be a must try! Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  21. You know what Valli, forget the meme and just keep posting scrumptious salads like this. You know I'm a bit of a locavore, but everything in moderation (except chocolate of course) so going off the reservation every now and again is okay in my book. It's what stops us from going postal. Wow, enough mixed metaphors in their to make a salad! Happy easter with your daughter

    ReplyDelete
  22. Oooh, girl, I haven't had a salad like that in ages. Strawberries and candied pecans make me so happy!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Yum! I love spinach-strawberry salad. Enjoy your time with your daughter.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Spinach I can get but those luscious strawberries won't be around for weeks yet. But, then I'll have them for most of the summer... Patience!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Oh, I just love spinach and strawberries together. It's so clean and fresh, like spring itself. Lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  26. spinach and strawberries a lovely combination - always! perfect for the mingle. Thanks you for joining!

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to my home. Thank you for choosing to stay a while and for sharing our lives through food. I appreciate all your support, comments, suggestions, and daily encouragement.

Val

This blog uses comment moderation therefore SPAMMERS, SELF-PROMOTERS and ADVERTISERS will be deleted.