20 March 2008

Cilantro & Parsley Crumb-Coated Halibut

Cilantro and Parsley Crumb-Coated Halibut
March marks the beginning of halibut season. I love halibut with it's meaty texture and succulent flavour. It is also an environmentally friendly choice for those of us who would like to help the planet even just a little bit. "Halibut is caught using bottom long-lines (a central fishing line with off shoots of smaller lines with baited hooks). This has minimal impact on the ocean floor habitat and doesn't interfere with the habitats of other ocean dwellers. Plus it also minimizes the unwanted catch of seabirds."


Halibut's mild flavour and meaty texture make it ideal for an aromatic herb crust. Since there is no sauce dish up a creamy Potato Pave or scalloped potatoes.

This recipe comes from Jennifer Danter of EAT Magazine . One of the advantages of this environmentally friendly magazine is that the magazine can also be found on-line to save a British Columbia forest. The publication is free. Each month they have a few fabulous recipes as well as plenty of information on dining, wine and other culinary experiences in the Vancouver and Vancouver Island areas...a little bit of content on the Okanagan as well.

My daughter and I had this dish this evening for dinner....with a few of her other favourites... Caprese Salad...which I topped with the Parmesan Crusted Asparagus of another post... sugar snap peas and lemon rice....ooh and Coeur de la Creme with Raspberry Coulis for dessert!! I seem to eat more health consciously when she is here because she won't eat any other way. Living the university life puts a damper on her meal plans with limited cooking facilities, time and cafeteria food, therefore, I just LOVE to spoil her when she is here!!! She wants to be a dietician...I try to be more health conscious is all I can say about that.

**Cilantro and Parsley Crumb-Coated Halibut**

3 slices organic white bread, preferably day old
1/2 cup each chopped cilantro and Italian parsley
1/4 cup grated Montana (David Wood's) or Parmesan cheese
1/3 cup whole hazelnuts (you could substitute walnuts, pistachios or any other nut you prefer)
1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
4 halibut fillets, at least 1-inch thick
coarse salt and pepper
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard

Cut off and discard bread crusts. Tear bread into small pieces. (If bread is fresh, lightly toast, then cut off crusts and tear into small pieces). In a food processor, whirl herbs with cheese and hazelnuts until mixed. Whirl in breadcrumbs and oil just until coarse crumbs form.

Place fish on a lightly oiled baking sheet. Season with salt and pepper and smear tops with mustard. Generously heap breadcrumb mixture over top and press gently so it sticks. Roast in preheated 400F oven until a knife inserted in thickest part of fish comes out warm, 10 - 12 minutes. (When roasting fish, if crust starts to brown too much before fish is cooked, loosely cover with a piece of foil).

Serve with lemony asparagus.

You are reading this post on More Than Burnt Toast at http://morethanburnttoast.blogspot.com. Excerpts and links may be used, provided that full and clear credit is given to the author/owner of More Than Burnt Toast. All rights reserved by Valerie Harrison. Best Blogger Tips

22 comments:

  1. Oh we are on the same wave length. I was toying with crusting some fish with pecans.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great topping for the halibut Val. Hope yo enjoy the Easter season. All the best.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful piece of Halibut! I love this fish too and haven't had it for a while.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fish and seafood are my weakest area - I'm so happy to find a halibut recipe to try and it really looks delicious (and uncomplicated)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I admit I am not a huge fish fan, but that crumb topping would make me go weak at the knees for just one bite. But, I probably wouldn't stop there!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That looks like a great piece of fish! I don't care for hazelnuts much- I wonder if I could sub pistachios or macadamias?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love Halibut. We can only get it here very rarely and then it has traveled for a while and looks and tastes it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, This looks so good Val! what a great meal to enjoy with your daughter. Have fun spoiling her!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great minds think alike Glamah :D
    So far the Easter holdiays are going great Peter:D
    I love halibut Pixie, especially fish & chips...fresh:D
    Do give this simple dish a try Giz:D
    We had leftover crumb topping Gretchen we thought it might be nice on potatoes or mac 'n' cheese:D
    You can use what nuts you like Recipe Girl...we have local hazelnuts so this was fitting for this recipe.
    It is halibut season so maybe you will get some fresh Judy. Sometimes frozen fish is exc ellent as well if it is flash frozen when they catch it on the boat.
    I will have fun spoiling her Marie:D
    We don't have a Whole Foods here Ben, but from what I see they seem to have everything:D

    ReplyDelete
  10. For Judy: You can have FRESH Pacific halibut, that just came into season, delivered to you over night from marxfoods.com. It's top quality!

    ReplyDelete
  11. you make my mouth water!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think that is so cool that your daughter encourages you to eat healthier! Although I do think your menus are already pretty healthful!
    Love the crust on that halibut!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'd love a small seat at your table.

    ReplyDelete
  14. That looks delicious! I love crumb toppings on my fish.

    ReplyDelete
  15. The texture and flavours here must be great. I can only imagine.

    ReplyDelete
  16. That halibut looks good! I like the hazelnut topping.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Lovely lovely post Val.The idea of being environmentally friendly with the least impact on an eco-system is JUST RIGHT. This is a great way to spread the word & about the online mag too. Your posts are like an online magazine too these days...Your spread sounded amazing! Lucky daughter to have an indulgent mother like you!!Have a great Easter!

    ReplyDelete
  18. First, you're flaunting a big slab of halibut which would cost at least $7 over here and you awe me with the hazel nut topping...fabulous fish dish.

    ReplyDelete
  19. That's a gorgeous hunk of fish, Val. Very fresh and healthy. Halibut is one of my favorite kinds of fish. I love it's meaty texture and it holds up so well. I have made it crusted with panko and crushed pecans.

    Happy Easter!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Great recipe!!! And the nuts crusting must taste heavenly! I bet your daughter didn't want to go back to the University after the wonderful meals you cook for her!!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  21. Nothing better than fresh halibut, and this sounds like a great way to prepare it!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Oh yes! This is gonna be dinner sometime this week. Thanks, Aaron

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to my home. Thank you for choosing to stay a while and for sharing our lives through food. I appreciate all your support, comments, suggestions, and daily encouragement.

Val

This blog uses comment moderation therefore SPAMMERS, SELF-PROMOTERS and ADVERTISERS will be deleted.