23 February 2008

Ask and Thou Shalt Receive.....Healthy Onion Rings

Healthy Onion Rsing
Thank you so much one and all for all your kind comments on the last post! Who would have thought there could be such a response to the humble burger...it was the "yammy" fries that did it ...or perhaps the impending Spring and summer. Just the thought of Spring adds such hope for new beginnings, fresh ingredients and new ideas in the kitchen. Several of you also asked for the recipe for the oven baked onion rings. They were quite good if you enjoy the breaded style of rings...which I love of course. They use up a lot of dishes in preparation but they are worth it. You need a bowl of flour, a bowl of milk, a bowl of beaten egg whites and a bowl of breadcrumbs on the production line.



All too often foods with the word healthy in front of their name leaves a little to be desired in the flavour department. A few weeks ago I saw a recipe for Onion Rings on Kevins blog Closet Cooking and have been dying to have some ever since. The "real meal deal" is here on Kevin's blog. These are excellent I know!!

I don't own a deep fat fryer and have a fear of cooking with an abundance of oil on the top of the stove. My dad used to fry chips, doughnuts and potato fritters for years on the stove top without mishap...I should get over it right. I suppose I could also sight the fact that I am trying to eat healthier foods where the words "deep fried" and healthy just don't mix. Of course "everything in moderation" is a good motto to have so the occasional "real meal deal" is allowed.

The recipe calls for them to be cooked way longer than they need to be. I cooked mine for 10 minutes total and they were quite done. Perhaps it is the type of onion used. I used cooking onions so probably that explains it. A nice Vidalia onion would work well. The onions inside the crispy coating were sweet and delicious..and healthy too!! If you don't mind messy fingers then these are for you !!

**Healthy Onion Rings**

1 large onion
1 -1/4 cups Italian style bread crumbs
1/2 teaspoon minced fresh garlic
1 cup low-fat milk
1 cup all-purpose flour
3 large egg whites, beaten slightly

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Spray 2 large cookie sheets with nonstick spray.

Cut onion into 1/2-inch-thick slices. Separate slices into rings. In a small bowl, combine bread crumbs and garlic. Set aside.

Place milk, flour, and egg whites into three separate small bowls. Dip each onion ring into milk, flour, egg white, and bread crumbs (in that order).

Place on prepared cookie sheets and bake for 20 minutes. Turn onion rings over and bake until golden brown, about 10 minutes longer.

NOTE: I cooked my onion rings for a total of only 10 minutes. Perhaps it depends on the type of onion you are using.

You are reading this post on More Than Burnt Toast at http://morethanburnttoast.blogspot.com. Excerpts and links may be used, provided that full and clear credit is given to the author/owner of More Than Burnt Toast. All rights reserved by Valerie Harrison. Best Blogger Tips

23 comments:

  1. Yay! This sounds like a great alternative to the deep fryed stuff. Thanks for listening to your fans :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Val, onion rings rock and now we can have them baked...yay...more often!

    Also, maybe the onions in the recipe were a thicker slice?

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is nice to think I we have fans :D We all enjoy new and creative foods as well as the comfort foods we love...I find such inspiration on all your blogs!!
    Yes Peter I think the thickness would make a difference as well :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yum, these look delicious and so crunchy. I definitely need to give these a try soon. I also don't like doing stove-top frying. I have a fear ever since burning myself 5+ years ago!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love onion rings... so does my mom... I've got a new recipe to try when we're both over our flu bugs haha!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks fantastic! Not only do I like healthy versions of fried things, but like you I am afraid of frying - I used to do shrimp chips in the wok and it was terrifying for me (as well as not healthy, so two reasons to give it up!) :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm with you on the frying Val and I have to say these look great.

    ReplyDelete
  8. A very nice version of a classic with an inviting photo.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ooohh! I have all those ingredients and these sound so good! Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Val, thanks for posting this for us. This sounds so good.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for the recipe. Just a question that I've been meaning to ask; what is italian style breadcrumbs?

    Thanks, Val.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hey Nora. Italian style bread crumbs are just breadcrumbs that have Italian spices and usually Parmesan cheese already mixed in. I think I liked these better with the regular crumbs personally, but that is just me :D

    ReplyDelete
  13. Brilliant option. I was wondering about how you did the rings based on the appearance.Now I know!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh Y-E-S onion rings and what a great healthy way to cook them!! You're a star sweetie :D

    Rosie x

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ooh... we make these and absolutely love them along with "unfried" chicken. It's so nice to eat guilt-inducing food without the guilt, isn't it? :-)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Those onion rings look great! I am glad to see that the healthy baked ones turned out so well. I will have to try them this way.

    ReplyDelete
  17. These look very tasty! I always loved onion rings, but like you, I'm not in a hurry to start deep frying things at home...and the end result is that wonderful indulgences like this have fallen off of my radar. I'll have to give these a try!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I am a huge onion ring fan, but have never had a "healthy" version! I'll be trying this out!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Ohhhh it's been so long since I eat onion rings!!! I don't think I ever made them at home... there's not a big tradition here, but I've had some at hotels and restaurants and last time we went to EuroDisney with my daughter... Ooooh I love them!!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Val, your photo makes me want to pick up those rings and take a big bite! Guilt free goodness, with Italian breadcrumbs to boot!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Ok, these look really great. I have to try them.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Love the "healthy" onion ring recipe! Could I possibly use it on our Vidalia website with a credit (and suggesting Vidalias, of course!)

    Let me know--Wendy Brannen
    wbrannen@vidaliaonion.org
    VidaliaOnion.org

    ReplyDelete
  23. When I was young and poor(er) we use to order onion rings with tarter sauce and pretend they were batter-fried shrimp. These sound yummy - I think I'll make them and wander down memory lane....

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to my home. Thank you for choosing to stay a while and for sharing our lives through food. I appreciate all your support, comments, suggestions, and daily encouragement.

Val

This blog uses comment moderation therefore SPAMMERS, SELF-PROMOTERS and ADVERTISERS will be deleted.