15 February 2008

Anguri me feta ke Diosmo

Anguri me feta ke Diosmo
To finish up my spree of posts from Aglaia Kremezi I offer you her Cucumber with Feta & Mint Salad:D This is such a light and refreshing salad. This time around I topped it onto piles of spinach. It went well with the Greek Lemon Potatoes and Dolmades of previous posts :D

If we have any more wonderful days like we have had for the past week, I may be lulled into believing that Spring has arrived. It is a little unrealistic in a Canadian winter to think that we have seen the last of the cold weather and snow in the middle of February....isn't it??? I can sure hope though...that is the sound of me crossing my fingers and toes as well... creeking bones you know. I have been strolling the neighbourhood in between the odd day at work and my neverending cooking spree. I know I should have headed for southern climates...I do have friends in Florida and South Carolina :D..is there still time??????


Aglaia says, "When I was a child, cucumber never entered our house because my father considered it to be unhealthy. I remember its fresh aroma on hot summer evenings, when everyone had dinner outdoors. This salad is very easy to make and is a perfect side dish for grilled lamb or any broiled meat." ...it was perfect with the dolmades as well :D

**Anguri me Feta ke Diosmo**
(Cucumber with Feta and Mint)

1 large cucumber, half-peeled in lengthwise strips to give striped appearance
1 cup crumbled feta cheese
1/2 cup chopped fresh mint leaves
6 tablespoons olive oil
3 tablespoons lemon juice
Sea salt and freshly ground pepper

Wash and dry the cucumber and cut it into very thin crosswise slices. Place the slices in a salad bowl, sprinkling with the feta cheese and mint. In a small bowl whisk the oil and lemon juice with the salt and pepper to make ladolemono (a vinaigrette made with lemon juice). Pour over the salad and toss thoroughly. Serve immediately.

Serves 4

You are reading this post on More Than Burnt Toast at http://morethanburnttoast.blogspot.com. Excerpts and links may be used, provided that full and clear credit is given to the author/owner of More Than Burnt Toast. All rights reserved by Valerie Harrison. Best Blogger Tips

10 comments:

  1. Val,
    That looks just lovely and perfect for a warm day. I think my wife would love something like that too!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Why are cucumbers and mint so lovely together? This is just my kind of salad-- simple, fresh, and boldy flavorful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great salad. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this, Val because it's Greek, it's easy and it can be had in any season.

    Cucumbers were always enjoyed in my home.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Enjoy your weather you lucky dog. It's been like Canada, here! Snow, ice.
    Maybe spring will come early. I can't wait.

    This salad is spring-like don't ya think?

    I spy a Foodbuzz banner on your blog...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Val, you are really on a spree! I just read through your last five posts, and they are terrific. what a good time you must have had; I'm a big fan of Kremezi's books. You're really doing your teacher proud!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cucumbers are so refreshing. They make wonderful salads. This one looks lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This sounds so good. I have never tried this kind of salad and I know that cucumber goes very well with mint because in Cyprus we put mint on top of our tzatziki.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Perfect! I really like cucumber salads and this tasty Greek cucumber salad looks so good. Bookmarked.

    ReplyDelete
  10. There is certainly no sign of Spring here in Ontario. Brrr. Your salad certainly sounds tasty though. I'm sure I would enjoy it very much.

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to my home. Thank you for choosing to stay a while and for sharing our lives through food. I appreciate all your support, comments, suggestions, and daily encouragement.

Val

This blog uses comment moderation therefore SPAMMERS, SELF-PROMOTERS and ADVERTISERS will be deleted.