10 January 2008

What to do with the Mascarpone...

Mascarpone Brownies with Mascarpone Cheese Frosting
Have you ever purchased ingredients to make an amazing dish and then just didn't have time in your busy schedule... with the same ingredients creating waste in the fridge?

Over the holidays I purchased a container of mascarpone cheese. I had very good intentions to produce luscious desserts, but, as with all good intentions they sometimes fall to the wayside with our busy lives. I should have known I couldn't eat another sweet over the holiday season no matter how good it sounded!



So what do I do with the mascarpone now that the holidays are over for another year and all the company has gone home! I came across this recipe using mascarpone cheese. It doesn't exactly fit into my whole healthy promises to myself for 2008, but, as long as I am sharing....

Mascarpone is a triple-creme cheese, made from a generally low-fat (25%) fresh cream. (good for you... No?) . It's made from the milk of cows that have been fed special grasses filled with fresh herbs and flowers -- a special diet that creates a unique taste often described as "fresh and delicious." Milky-white in color, it is a thick cream that is easily spread. It is often is used in place of butter to thicken and enrich rissoti. In Italy, a favorite preparation is a savory spread, mixing the cheese with anchovies, mustard and spices and spreading it on bread...next time!!!! But it is often just served with fruit, or it can be mixed with hot chocolate or coffee. I'm sure there are a 1001 more ways to serve this fresh cheese.

This recipe called for the use of Mascarpone in the brownies. It added a light delicate texture to the brownies while still being a chewy brownie that I love. Looking still further I searched the net for a Mascarpone frosting to top my brownies. I wanted chocolate so I changed the recipe up a little bit. The choice of the mascarpone adds a lighter texture once again to the frosting. All in all I really enjoyed these brownies...any takers?

**Mascarpone Brownies with Mascarpone Cheese Frosting**

¾ cup all-purpose flour
¾ teaspoon baking powder
¼ teaspoon salt
½ cup butter
6 oz bittersweet chocolate
8 oz mascarpone
6 tablespoons butter, softened
1 -2/3 cup sugar
4 eggs
2 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 cup chopped pecans or walnuts

Preheat oven to 350ºF. Spray a 9 x 9-inch pan with non-stick cooking spray. Combine the flour, baking powder and salt in a small bowl. Melt ½ cup of butter with the chocolate.

Meanwhile, in the bowl of a mixer using a paddle attachment, beat the mascarpone, 6 tablespoons of softened butter, and the sugar until light and smooth. Add the eggs to the cheese mixture one at a time and thoroughly scrape the bowl after each egg is added. Add the vanilla and mix. Add the melted chocolate and mix just until combined. Finally, add the dry ingredients and nuts and mix slowly just until combined. Pour into the prepared pan and bake approximately 45 minutes or until a toothpick is inserted and comes out clean.

Note: The brownies will rise during the baking process, but after being removed from the oven will collapse to a normal height. Remove from oven and allow to cool.


Mascarpone Frosting

8 oz mascarpone cheese, room temperature
2 tablespoons butter
4 oz bittersweet chocolate
1 tablespoon milk
2 teaspoon vanilla
1- 2 cups icing sugar

Melt chocolate with butter and milk in saucepan. Allow to cool. Beat mascarpone until well combined. Beat in vanilla and melted chocolate mixture. Add in confectioners sugar, scraping down the bowl as you go. When it has all been incorporated, beat on high speed for 1-2 minutes, until icing is smooth.

Frost brownies with icing.

Makes 1 dozen

You are reading this post on More Than Burnt Toast at http://morethanburnttoast.blogspot.com. Excerpts and links may be used, provided that full and clear credit is given to the author/owner of More Than Burnt Toast. All rights reserved by Valerie Harrison. Best Blogger Tips

18 comments:

  1. YUM! YUM!!! Beautiful creation. Luscious looking!:)
    I love to make Tiramasu with that cheese.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for stopping by and making so many nice comments lately. I'm glad to have found your site as you have many interesting and tempting things to try. I'm excited to make hummus and baba ganoush as I just had a friend bring me a jar of the treasured tahini, which is difficult to find here. I happen to have a tub of mascarpone kicking around in the fridge also, so off I go to make something other than the original plan also. Thanks for some inspiration...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Val, I'm relived to hear the Mascarpone didn't get tossed ( would be a shame).

    I'm sure the dessert didn't last as long in the fridge.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is a beautiful brownie. I have never used mascarpone, so this could just be the inspiration to do so.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Me! I'll take one! Or two, even three! I've got mascarpone left to and must use it up this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have actually never used mascarpone before, but I've seen a lot of recipes with it that I've wanted to make!! Giada uses it a lot. I haven't been able to find it anywhere around me until recently, so maybe this will be my first recipe with mascarpone!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very interesting recipe Valli!

    I have never tried to make anything with Mascarpone...

    Enjoy your weekend,

    Margot

    ReplyDelete
  8. wow wow wow! That looks sooo good, and with mascarpone in the brownies too. This goes on my "must bake" list!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like to use those last bits of mascarpone mixed with some honey or maple syrup on fruit or berries. These brownies with mascarpone sound really good!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think these are the best brownies I personally have ever made!!! I really like them and so has anyone I've shared them with!! I will definetely make them again!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Valli, very decedent!!Whats not to love!! Mascarpone inside and out!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great idea Valli! Those look so great (I am trying to stay away from the "sweets" for right now, you know, one of those new year things). But I find it an interesting way to use that cheese. When I give up on my "no sweets", I may have to give that one a try.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Now you're scaring me - I bought all the ingredients to make Tirimasu and then realized I didn't have coffee liquor so the marscapone cheese is in the fridge. I'm eternally grateful - ;)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yum!!! I saw another recipe recently for mascarpone brownies too. Mmmm now I'm going to be thinking about mascarpone for days...

    ReplyDelete
  15. Here I was going to suggest stirring it into some wilted spinach or tossing it with some Brussels sprouts. But your chocolate thingy is good, too, I suppose.... hahaha!
    (I'm facing a personal crisis...I've eaten all my chocolate and shops aren't open on Sunday, here)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow I didn't know that about the cows being fed herbs and flowers. I learned something new. Thank you. The brownies look really good.

    ReplyDelete
  17. These look divine. Funnily enough, I have a tub of mascarpone in the fridge which I bought with another dessert in mind. Like you, I didn't get around to making it so these brownies might be just the answer!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh yes it has happend to me a lot of time. I buy something and then it doesn't get used because of the lack of time etc.....
    These brownies look super delicious.
    Wish I had atleast 2 pieces with my coffee

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to my home. Thank you for choosing to stay a while and for sharing our lives through food. I appreciate all your support, comments, suggestions, and daily encouragement.

Val

This blog uses comment moderation therefore SPAMMERS, SELF-PROMOTERS and ADVERTISERS will be deleted.