12 January 2008

I Have No Olives Today.....


I don't usually make a chopped salad. I suppose it reminds me of less than fresh browning lettuces and wilted ingredients served at the local diner. If made fresh, however, it can give you a flavour boost you are probably not expecting. I served this chopped salad with the Vegetarian Moussaka in a previous post. No olives in the fridge today...so sad for the photo......instead a photo of the donkeys of Fira on the island of Santorini, Greece.



**Chopped Greek Salad with Shallot Vinaigrette**

2 tablespoon white balsamic vinegar
1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
1 small shallot, halved
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
2 tablespoons canola oil
1/2 teaspoon oregano
salt and freshly ground black pepper
10 oz mixed baby greens including iceberg lettuce, coarsely chopped
4 Belgian endives, halved, cored and finely chopped
1 English cucumber, peeled, halved, seeded and cut into 1/2-inch dice
1 pint grape tomatoes, halved
1/4 cup coarsely chopped dill
3/4 cup pitted kalamata olives, halved
1/2 lb feta cheese, crumbled ( 2 cups)

In a blender, combine the vinegar, lemon juice and shallot and puree. With the machine on , add the olive oil and canola oil and puree until emulsified. Season the dressing with salt and pepper.

In a large bowl, toss the greens with the endives, cucumber, tomatoes, dill, olives and feta. Add half of the dressing, season with salt and pepper and toss. Add the remaining dressing, toss again and serve.

Serves 8

You are reading this post on More Than Burnt Toast at http://morethanburnttoast.blogspot.com. Excerpts and links may be used, provided that full and clear credit is given to the author/owner of More Than Burnt Toast. All rights reserved by Valerie Harrison.
Best Blogger Tips

6 comments:

  1. Love salads, mainly in summer and I really love the dressing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I would have still enjoyed seeing the salad though there were no olives :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Cynthia, I'm sure it looked beautiful!! My nephew went to Greece for his honeymoon, and absolutely loved it!! Wonderful pictures just like yours!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the picture!!! I once was in Mykonos... many years ago, and I loved it! Santorini looks like a wonderful island too!

    Salads are such a good choice, so refreshing and healthy. I love your greek one! Bookmarked for summer hot days.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mmmmm. I bet the Belgian endive and dill really made this salad something special. It looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks guys....next time I make this I will be sure to take it's photo.

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to my home. Thank you for choosing to stay a while and for sharing our lives through food. I appreciate all your support, comments, suggestions, and daily encouragement.

Val

This blog uses comment moderation therefore SPAMMERS, SELF-PROMOTERS and ADVERTISERS will be deleted.