29 December 2007

101 Ways to Cook Leftover Turkey...Greek Avgolemono Soup

I wanted to do something different with our leftover turkey this year. I think we have feasted on an overabundance of heavy foods over these past few holiday weeks. I was "hankering" for something light and flavourful.


What came to mind.. my mind was drifting (yet again) to warmer, sun drenched climates... was a light and flavourful soup at a taverna on the Agean Sea. I had the opportunity to sample several Avgolemono soups while I was in Greece. Some were light and delicate and some simply were not. I had Cabbage Rolls in Avgolemono, Dolmades in Avgolemono...you name it! I do LOVE this lemony sauce, so, that is probably why I gravitated towards it so often.


Traditionally this soup is made from chicken or lamb stock...but I had a turkey carcass taking up too much room in the refrigerator. I cooked the rice in the remaining broth as the recipe suggested, added a little turkey meat, a little dill and Greek oregano and I had a light and flavourful soup....needed a little salt though...which I added afterwards.

I have no Greek Ya Ya (Yiayia) or grandmother from whose elbows I have watched prepare this delicious soup since I was a child, therefore, I hope my rendition of this classic Greek soup is at least acceptable...but it is my first attempt and open to interpretation.


**Turkey Avgolemono Soup**


8 cups flavourful chicken broth (in this case turkey broth)
3 medium eggs
1/2 cup rice
juice from 1 - 2 lemons
grated zest of 1/2 lemon
salt
1/2 tsp dried mint
1/2 tsp dried Greek oregano
coarsely ground black pepper
Garnish with whipped plain yogurt

***********************
In a large saucepan, bring the stock to a boil, reduce heat, add the rice, and reduce heat to simmer. Cook for 20 minutes. Add chopped leftover tureky to soup and let simmer while preparing the avgolemono sauce.


In a blender, beat the eggs. Slowly add the lemon juice to the eggs. Add dill, oregano and freshly ground pepper. Add one cup of turkey or chicken broth, do not stop blending. The constant blending is the secret to prevent curdling of this delcious soup.


When the eggs and broth are well mixed, pour this mixture back into the remaining broth and rice.


Stir well and serve. Do not allow to boil. Best Blogger Tips

6 comments:

  1. Val, turkey stock is a natural for Avgolemeno and nevermind Windex...Avgolemeno is the "cure all"!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This soup could easily be served at "My Great Big Fat Greek Wedding"..if Chicken Soup is for the Soul then so is Avgolemono for the Greeks and Greeks at heart.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I made an Avgolemono sauce a while ago and I really enjoyed it. I have been wanting to try an Avgolemono soup. It sounds really good. The use of the mint sounds interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So different! I must try this one!
    Not used to having mint in soup!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That sounds like a perfect use for the turkey carcass - and a welcome relief from the sweets and heavy foods. (Then I can go back and finish the cookies, hehehe)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Val, Thanks for the wishes. I chose to leave my wishes on a Greek recipe.

    As the new year blossoms, may the journey of your life be fragrant with new opportunities, your days be bright with new hopes and your heart be happy with love! Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to my home. Thank you for choosing to stay a while and for sharing our lives through food. I appreciate all your support, comments, suggestions, and daily encouragement.

Val

This blog uses comment moderation therefore SPAMMERS, SELF-PROMOTERS and ADVERTISERS will be deleted.