10 November 2007

Skordalia me Kapari


Here it is another drizzly fall day in the valley. Where is the sunshine they talk about in the Sunny Okanagan? Oh well...it is on days like this that my mind can wander endlessly to the blue azure seas of the Agean. I am closing me eyes and sitting at an oceanside taverna with the strains of bazooka music in the background. I am sharing the meze table with my new found friends.

One of the most popular mezes in Greece is skordalia, a light-textured dip of garlic pounded with soaked bread, potatoes and almonds It is flavoured with extra-virgin olive oil and plenty of fresh lemon juice. The pungency varies depending on the amount of garlic you use.


This version comes from Aglaia Kremezi's cookbook " The Foods of the Greek Islands - Cooking and Culture at the Crossroads of the Mediterranean". For the 3 or 4 people who visit my blog on a regular basis you will have heard me mention Aglaia and her husband Costas Moraitis who run their cooking school on the island of Kea in Greece. Keartisanal is a must for anyone who wants to immerse themselves in the Greek culture and life style for 8 days. Go to the Greek section of this blog and you will hear about my vacation endlessly!!!!

Aglaia says,"This particular version, from the island of Tinos, is flavoured with capers. Hanging from cliffs and rocks over the sea, caper bushes grow in abundance all over the Cycladic islands. The fragrant buds, collected in early summer and cured and dried in the sun, give a unique taste and aroma to all kinds of island dishes. Although skordalia traditionally accompanies salt cod fritters, it can also be served with crudites. With the addition of a few tablespoons of water or broth, it becomes a sauce for fried, poached or steamed fish or for grilled or steamed vegetables, such as broccoli or potatoes. It is also excellent as a dressing for cooked beans and is often served with fried eggplant, fried zucchini, or Chickpea Patties".

This recipe is dedicated to Deb at Deb's Key West Wine and Garden . Skordalia is one of her husbands favourites. She is also a "caper-nut" like me and loves capers in many dishes. Aglaia's version of Skordalia is absolutely delicious and a must try!!!

Skordalia me Kapari (Caper Potato-Garlic Dip)

2 cups cubed day-old whole wheat bread, soaked in water until softened
3 - 5 garlic cloves, quartered
1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
1/4 cup capers, preferably salt-packed, rinsed and drained
3 - 4 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
1/2 cup blanched whole almonds, soaked overnight in water and drained
1 medium potato, boiled, peeled and mashed
freshly ground white pepper
salt (optional)

Squeeze the soaked bread to extract the excess water and place it i a food processor. Add the garlic and process into a smooth paste.

With the motor running, add the oil, a little at a time. Add 3 T of the capers and 3 T of the lemon juice. Add the almonds and pulse a few times, until they are coarsely ground.

Scrape the mixture into a medium bowl and fold in the potato. (do not be tempted to use the food processor for this; the potato would become gluey.) Season with white pepper. Taste and add salt, if needed - the capers are usually salted enough - and more pepper and/or lemon juice. Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours.

Sprinkling the remaining 1 tablespoon capers over the skordalia before serving.

Makes 6 - 8 servings (about 2 cups)

You are reading this post on More Than Burnt Toast at http://morethanburnttoast.blogspot.com. Excerpts and links may be used, provided that full and clear credit is given to the author/owner of More Than Burnt Toast. All rights reserved by Valerie Harrison. Best Blogger Tips

9 comments:

  1. Interesting flavors and textures - but you got me with the capers. There's always a jar or two in the fridge with spares in the pantry. They add so much flavor!
    I assume the Skordalia is meant to be eaten on something other than fingers? I think fingers would work rather well....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Reading this recipe reminded me of the market in Palermo, where salt-packed capers of different sizes from the island of Pantelleria are sold. I had to restrain myself. Capers are wonderful. This is a really interesting recipe: thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Val, this version of Skordalia is new to and I'm intrigued enough to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ok, I MUST try that! It sounds delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Valli, I love this dip!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Valli,
    This is something new to me. Thanks for sharing the recipes and also how to serve it.

    I see that I've missed several of your posts, so I have a lot to catch up with.

    I hope that you had a good weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fingers would work well Katiez!!!
    I loved walking the ancient trails on the islands in Greece and coming across wild caper plants Simona.
    Aglia made this for us Peter and I have tried it since from once of her cookbooks. I really enjoyed it!
    Thanks Mary & Anh!!
    I am having a very good weekend Nora but lots of catching up to do as well with friends and housework...Blah on the housework.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm a huge fan of skordalia, but I've never tried it with the bread mixed in - that should definitely give it better texture!

    Hey, are you really expecting sunny days in the Northwest in november? :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey Valli, I just wrote all of this down in my notebook and will try it soon. Looks great! I will be sending you my recipe soon!
    Thanks for mentioning me in your blog. You are so sweet:)

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to my home. Thank you for choosing to stay a while and for sharing our lives through food. I appreciate all your support, comments, suggestions, and daily encouragement.

Val

This blog uses comment moderation therefore SPAMMERS, SELF-PROMOTERS and ADVERTISERS will be deleted.