17 November 2007

Remembering my Mom's Sugar Cookies....

Mom
Here it is almost the Christmas season upon us. Christmas you say??? I start Christmas shopping and baking right after Hallowe'en..maybe even before that. I may have even started shopping Boxing Day of last year but .....shhhhhhh.

As a child I remember baking cookies with my mom. One of my favourites to this day are her Sugar Cookies. Mom would roll out the dough and we would cut it into all manner of shapes..Santas, bells, Christmas trees. The dough would be there at Easter, Thanksgiving...you name any holiday and if it could be made into a theme the cookies were there. After the cookies were baked we would allow them to cool (very hard to do even now) and my sister, brothers and I would decorate them with butter icing, dragees and sprinkles; whatever would suite our childlike fantasies.

As soon as my own daughter came into our lives out came the dough. We probably began making these cookies before she could walk. We would cut it into fanciful shapes. It would show up at birthday parties and Hallowe'en decorated to our hearts content.

Not only are these cookies delicious, but I imagine I love them so much because it reminds me of hours spent with my own mom making our creations. The biggest reward was the satisfaction of making something together and seeing the smiling faces all around as we tucked into our special treats. I only have to remember the huge smile on my daughters face, with a little bit of flour on the cheek , and I would make these cookies until I am no longer on this earth!!! I have tried many other recipes for sugar cookies from friends, but, truthfully I LOVE this recipe the most!!!!!

**Gran's Sugar Cookies**

2 cups sifted all purpose flour
½ teaspoon baking powder
½ teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon salt
2/3 cup butter
1 cup sugar
1 egg, beaten
2 tablespoon milk
½ teaspoon vanilla

Sift first four ingredients. Cream well butter and sugar. Blend in egg, milk and vanilla.

Blend in dry ingredients.

Chill 2 hours. Roll 1/8 inch thick on lightly floured board. Cut into desired shapes with floured cutters.

Bake on ungreased cookie sheets in moderate oven (375 degrees) 10 – 12 minutes.


**Butter Cream Frosting**

1/3 cup butter
2 cups sifted icing sugar
1 egg yolk
1 teaspoon vanillla
1 tablespoon cream or carnation milk

Cream well butter and sugar. Add remaining ingredients and stir until thick and
creamy. If a thicker frosting is desired for pasting tube directions additional icing
sugar may be added.

Decorate and ENJOY!!!!!!!

You are reading this post on More Than Burnt Toast at http://morethanburnttoast.blogspot.com. Excerpts and links may be used, provided that full and clear credit is given to the author/owner of More Than Burnt Toast. All rights reserved by Valerie Harrison. Best Blogger Tips

7 comments:

  1. Val, I was just searching for a solid sugar cookie recipe and there yours was..just like that. Quick as a wink! Thanks for saving me lots of time. I need to make a load of these for Thanksgiving :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sugar cookies sound simple and tasty!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Val, I'm a novice/timid baker, I love cookies, this recipe is simple = I'll try'em!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for sharing your memories with us,and a recipe thats such a prized posession!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's wonderful to have such a tradition that you continued to share with your daughter. My love for cooking and baking came from my mother, so I've spent many wonderful hours with mom in the kitchen.

    Thanks for sharing your mom's sugar cookies.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You're welcome Maryanne. I haven't foudn a sugar cookie recipe I like as much as this one!
    Give it a try guys, Peter & Kevin. There are many great men bakers out there!
    Thanks for taking the time to read this post
    Marie & Nora!!! I always appreciate it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have my grandmother's sugar cookie recipe that I hold dear to my heart as we used to make them together! I would dip the bottom of a small glass into just a bit of water and then into the sugar bowl. The best part followed, putting the glass onto the cookies and flatening them. Oh what memories!

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to my home. Thank you for choosing to stay a while and for sharing our lives through food. I appreciate all your support, comments, suggestions, and daily encouragement.

Val

This blog uses comment moderation therefore SPAMMERS, SELF-PROMOTERS and ADVERTISERS will be deleted.