22 November 2007

Chocolate Chunk Shortbread

A L'il Burnt Toast Creation
I found this recipe years ago in Canadian Living magazine. It was a recipe from a small bakery or coffee shop in Toronto that sold these cookies by the hundreds each day. The twist is that you brown a portion of the flour before mixing the dough. Be very careful not to overdo the flour in the oven, and burning it would just ruin the flavour. Baking it in this way gives the cookies a really "nutty" flavour that makes them really special. They do not photograph well, but believe me when I tell you.. I will never do --ooo---you any wrong... (I'm breaking out in song here). Your friends and family will love them!!! With the addition of chunks of good quality chocolate there will be a special place for you in their hearts.


The photo is a gift wrapped by my daughter in her creative way for a friend of hers. There is a gift in each of the 3 layers of the snowman.

**Chocolate Chunk Shortbread**

2-1/2 cups flour
2 cups butter, softened
1 cup instant dissolving (fruit/berry) sugar
1 cup sifted rice flour
8 oz. high quality milk chocolate, cut in chunks

1. Spread 1-1/2 cups of the flour on baking sheet; place under broiler 4 – 5 inches from heat. With oven door open, roast flour, turning with spatula every minute, for about 7 minutes or until medium brown colour. Let cool to room temperature.

2. In bowl, beat butter with sugar until light and fluffy. Sift together rice flour, roasted flour and remaining flour; stir vigorously into butter mixture until well blended. Refrigerate for 1 hour. Stir in chocolate.

3. Roll dough into 1-1/4 inch balls. Place on baking sheet, about 2 inches apart; flatten slightly.

4. Bake in 275 f oven for 50 minutes or until light golden. Let cool on baking sheet or rack. (Can be stored in airtight container up to 5 days.)

Makes about 72 cookies

You are reading this post on More Than Burnt Toast at http://morethanburnttoast.blogspot.com. Excerpts and links may be used, provided that full and clear credit is given to the author/owner of More Than Burnt Toast. All rights reserved by Valerie Harrison. Best Blogger Tips

11 comments:

  1. Shortbreads are my fave cookie!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love shortbreads too... both sweet and savoury ones. These sound fabulous...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love shortbread too, though have never tried a chocolate version. Your daughter really is so creative. What a cool idea.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your 'person of snow' (I'm being politcally correct, here)
    Biscuits sound pretty darn good, too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Valli,
    This recipe does sound very interesting. I don't know if I can find that particular sugar.

    The snowman gift wrap idea is pure genius!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would have love to see a pic. How can you pass shorbreads? They are so good. My son is going your way on Tuesday for senior volleyball championship.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What could be better than shortbread with chocolate??? By the way, your daughter is very creative!! thats such a great idea to wrap a present. Tooo cute!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I adore chocolate chunk shortbread, dipped in hot tea! Delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  9. They are my daughters favourite cookies as well Peter, so, they have to show up at Christmas!
    I have never had savourty shortbread..Janet..or maybe I have had something similar in cheese ones.
    My daughter will be happt hear that you like her "person of snow" Amanada, Katiez,Nora & Proud Italian Cook!
    The sugar might be called something else in Australia Nora. I tried to put different names for it like berry sugar, instant sugar and fruit sugar..it is just very fine sugar..but not icing sugar.
    My daughter played many a volleyball championship in her day Helene. She never went to Victoria though...Vancouver yes..
    Thanks ever so much for visiting Freya & Paul!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Valli, I love that idea with the snow man!!! How cool, except if it were my gift, I am not sure I would want to open it!
    Yummy sounding shortbread!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love shortbread - this one sounds wonderful!!

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to my home. Thank you for choosing to stay a while and for sharing our lives through food. I appreciate all your support, comments, suggestions, and daily encouragement.

Val

This blog uses comment moderation therefore SPAMMERS, SELF-PROMOTERS and ADVERTISERS will be deleted.