17 October 2007

Sweet & Spicy Cashew Chicken

Sweet and Spicy Cashew Chicken
"Hump Day" has arrived. Yay!! Time to look forward to another weekend. Just a few more days....

Weekday meals usually consist of fast and easy dishes or dishes I prepared over the weekend to eat as leftovers for the week. This chicken dish fits the bill.

1) It is quick and easy
2) It tastes good!!
3) You will only get less cleanup if you grill something on the barbeque in aluminum foil.

I served it with a side of jasmine rice and supper was ready in less than half and hour from start to finish.

**Sweet and Spicy Cashew Chicken**

Sauce

1/2 cup tomato sauce
4 teaspoons soy sauce
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
3 tablespoons sugar
1-1/2 teaspoon sesame oil
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/2 cup chicken broth

The Rest

2 tablespoons cornstarch
1/2 teaspoon sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
3 whole (6 halves) boneless chicken breasts, cut into cubes
1/4 cup oil
1-2 garlic cloves, minced
2 - 3 tablespoons fresh ginger, minced
2 red peppers, cut in strips
1 small onion, sliced
2 carrots, thinly sliced on diagonal
2 cups snow peas
1-1/2 cups cashews
sprinkling of toasted sesame seeds

Combine sauce ingredients and set aside.

In a bowl, combine cornstarch, sugar and salt. Add chicken and toss.

Heat wok or frying pan to highest heat. Add oil. Heat to hot, not smoking. Add chicken, ginger, garlic and onion. Stir until chicken is opaque (about 1 minute). Add peppers and carrots. Stir 2 - 3 minutes. Add peas and sauce. Cook until sauce comes to a boil.

Add cashews and sprinkle with sesame seeds.

Serve immediately.

Serves 6

You are reading this post on More Than Burnt Toast at http://morethanburnttoast.blogspot.com. Excerpts and links may be used, provided that full and clear credit is given to the author/owner of More Than Burnt Toast. All rights reserved by Valerie Harrison.
Best Blogger Tips

14 comments:

  1. Bravo Val...I'll have to get some cashews and ginger(ran out) and try this...I love nuts especially cashews!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovel meal indeed! I love stir-fry greens with cashews!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stupid question, I'm sure, but is this 3 whole breasts, as in both halves, or three of the breast halves-like they are sold in the stores? Either way, looks fantastic and I want to make it really soon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for visiting today. I'm going to take this recipe. Looks so good.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Valli, so good your chicken's recipe I will try, maybe friday I think. Thanks xxxxGloria

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks so yummy. I love anything spicy :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. This looks and sounds soooo good right now. My tummy is growling!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds delicious, any day of the week, Valli...I love fresh ginger! And its so colorful and appetizing, especially nice on a dreary day like it is here today. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. That looks really good. Cashews go really well in spicy/savoury dishes.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Better get some ginger Peter!! It comes in handy for so many things. I have resorted to the little cubes of frozen ginger available at the market. Then I always have it on hand.
    Lynnea, at the butchers where I have been going lately they sell whole chicken breasts which is 2 halves. I have tried to clarify it on the post. I can certainly understand the confusion..and there are no stupid questions only stupid answers!
    Thanks guys. I hope you enjoy the recipe if you try it!!!
    It has been dreary here as well Belinda :(
    I loved your chicken and cashew dish with the mango as well Kevin!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Looks lip-smackin good !

    ReplyDelete
  12. Looks just great Val! We have a similar dish here in Malaysia that we call Szechuan Chicken. Uses dried Chillies together with cashews and capsicum and looks just like yours! Bravo!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks Dharm. Through the blogging world and years of cooking I have come to discover that peppers are capsicums, courgettes are zucchini and aubergines are eggplants. I thought I had international savy until I heard about jaggery and Iranian Fairy Floss. Now I think I have been living in a cave.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am so going to put this on my menu soon! Yummy!

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to my home. Thank you for choosing to stay a while and for sharing our lives through food. I appreciate all your support, comments, suggestions, and daily encouragement.

Val

This blog uses comment moderation therefore SPAMMERS, SELF-PROMOTERS and ADVERTISERS will be deleted.