7 October 2007

Goat Cheese & Sun-Dried Tomato Stuffed Chicken Breasts.. and a Foodie Event

Goat Cheese and Sun Dried Tomato Stuffed Chicken Breasts

The talented and creative Nicole over at For the Love of Food has come up with an event that I find challenging and exciting.
Taste and Create is a monthly event where:

You are paired with another foodie.
You visit their blog.
Make a dish of your choice from their mouthwatering posts.
Photograph it.
Blog about it!
Give a short review of your thoughts on the dish.

There are so many wonderful blogs out there!! Each day I am inspired by all the wonderful sites and professionalism of people with similar interests as myself. I appreciate all the encouragement and kind words on my own ramblings and recipes. I am always inspired to go one step further when creating a dish, to improve upon the aesthetics and flavour combinations of my own dishes. It's hard to keep up with "The Jones's" but I thrive on trying!! I love to accept the challenge to create something "outside the box" using ingredients I wouldn't normally pair together.

I have met so many interesting and wonderful people from around the world with whom I can share and showcase seasonal, regional and international dishes from my own part of the world .

This month I was paired with Chef Sara from Whisks and Needles This is an original recipe created for her family and friends. She has not been blogging for long but I know she will soon be well known in the blogging circuit for her talent and creativity in the kitchen as well as with her knitting needles.

I have not been blogging long myself. I started this blog as an outlet to share my recipes with family and friends. It has grown into what it is today... small as it is. I have no advertisements and do not seek any recognition or monetary gain for my small efforts. I try and acknowledge my fellow foodies and all their efforts and appreciate all the kind words, guidance and encouragement from you all. Blogging for me is sharing my own efforts with all of you . That is why I love this event from Nicole at For the Love of Food. I get a chance to showcase someone else's efforts.

Thank you Sara of Whisks and Needles for the opportunity to prepare this wonderful dish!!! To see the original post and photographs on Sara's site check it out here . I can't wait to see what you have chosen from my blog to create with your talent!!!


**Goat Cheese and Sun-Dried Tomato Stuffed Chicken Breasts**

1/2 head garlic
4 oz log of goat cheese
2 tablespoons. minced sun-dried tomatoes
1 teaspoon oregano
1 teaspoon basil (divided)
1/2 teaspoon thyme
1/4 teaspoon marjoram
salt and pepper to taste
1 small onion
1 red bell pepper
2-3 tablespoons olive oi
l4 chicken breasts
1 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
Several strands of kitchen twine or toothpicks for holding rolls together.

1. Preheat oven to 425 F.

2. Drizzle garlic with a little bit of olive oil and wrap in foil. Roast at 425 for 45 minutes, or until soft and fragrant. Allow to cool then separate cloves.

3. Combine goat cheese, tomatoes, oregano, remaining 3/4 tsp. basil, thyme, marjoram, and salt and pepper. Add garlic when ready, and mix together until smooth.

4. Chop onion and red bell pepper, and place in a small roasting pan. Drizzle lightly with olive oil and sprinkle with remaining 1/4 tsp. of basil and toss.

5. Place chicken breasts between layers of heavy duty plastic wrap, and use meat mallet or small pan to pound breasts to about 1/4" thickness. Spread 1/4 of the goat cheese mixture on each breast. Roll up chicken breasts (as seen on the right) and use kitchen twine or toothpicks to hold together.

6. Heat 1-2 Tbs. olive oil in a medium to large skillet. While oil is heating, place pan of vegetables in 425F degree oven. Place chicken rolls in skillet and cook for 3-4 minutes, rotating rolls until browned all over. Remove chicken from skillet and place over vegetables in roasting pan. Cook until chicken is cooked through (about 25 minutes), and thermometer inserted into thickest portion reads at least 155F.

7. Remove vegetables from pan, and toss together with balsamic vinegar.

To serve, place chicken roll on plate, remove kitchen twine or toothpick, and top with about 1/4 cup of vegetable mixture. Add a green salad and some Italian Bread, and you have a wonderful meal!

Serves 4

Sara says..."A few notes about this recipe: I usually use the oil packed sun-dried tomatoes, but you can also use the dried ones. Just be sure to reconstitute them by soaking in hot water for about 30 minutes before adding them to the goat cheese. I also find that my hands tend to be the best kitchen tool for mixing the goat cheese. It makes it much easier to really ensure that everything gets mixed together well. I have made this recipe now several times, and it never fails to get rave reviews. "

VERDICT:

This dish is to die for!!! I would definitely serve it to company. It looks good and tastes better!!!
Great dish Sara!!! I paired it with Garlic Smashed Potatoes and a crisp salad.

You are reading this post on More Than Burnt Toast at http://morethanburnttoast.blogspot.com. Excerpts and links may be used, provided that full and clear credit is given to the author/owner of More Than Burnt Toast. All rights reserved by Valerie Harrison.
Best Blogger Tips

15 comments:

  1. Oh! God! This is a treat.In fact a real treat. Goat cheese and sun dried tomatoes are one of my favourite combinations.I save the recipe and I must try this.Like we usually said "This dish is to eat on knees and pray"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for such a wonderful review of my recipe! It's one of my favorites, and I'm glad it's bringing others happiness as well!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great dish! I love all of those ingredients.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Excellent! I have bookmarked this to try! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh wow! I love this combo - it looks really delicious.
    Great idea for a food blogging event.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can't take credit for this recipe of course. It is an original recipe from Chef Sara at http://whisksandneedles.blogspot.com . Delicious!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh crumbs, I missed this event again. It sounds like such good fun.

    This dish looks really delicious. I love goats cheese.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It looks like you chose a great recipe! I'm gonna have to bookmark this to try out - it sounds amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like soooo this Recipe Valli, I am hungry now!!! and is not time to lunch yet. So nice. Gloria

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh gosh, you're so far ahead of me. I have to make sushi for the first time - in a house with husband allergic to shellfish and doesn't eat fish! Ha.

    That chicken looks amazing. Such a nice dish for guests, too.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You and Sara have come up with a seriously enticing recipe, Valli...sun dried tomatoes and goat cheese sound like a great addition to a chicken recipe. And what a fun event. I get so much inspiration from my favorite food blogs (as you know, yours is definitely included!), and I love the theme of this event. I hope it will be done again...I'd love to take part next time.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow Valli, this looks awesome! I must hop over to Sara's and take a peek. Goat cheese and sun-dried tomatoes, a great match all by itself! I can just imagine what it does for the chicken. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Goats cheese, sundried tomatoes and balsamic vinegar... wow, this sounds great!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I really like this event adn the dish you recreated looks wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I never heard of that event. What a great idea. That recipe sounds really good. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to my home. Thank you for choosing to stay a while and for sharing our lives through food. I appreciate all your support, comments, suggestions, and daily encouragement.

Val

This blog uses comment moderation therefore SPAMMERS, SELF-PROMOTERS and ADVERTISERS will be deleted.