19 August 2007

Tortilla Crusted Chicken Rellenos with Cilantro Sauce

















It seems as time goes on I collect fewer and fewer cookbooks. Sometimes I come across the must haves, which simply means that if there is more than 3 recipes I would enjoy the cookbook ends up on my shelves. More and more I am turning to the Internet to find new recipes, which of course would include all the fantastic blogs out there!! I entered an event in the blogging world not long ago, so, went in search of recipes using chipotle chilies. Chipotle are smoked chilies that lend a delicate heat to your dishes. When I first went to buy the chilies everywhere I looked seemed to be chipotle free!!! Once I knew where to look now I see them everywhere!! Isn't that always the way????


I came across a Chipotle pesto from Olivieri the other day which I added to the sauce in this dish instead of using jalapenos peppers and cilantro. It makes a very flavourful dip for the chicken and takes away some of the heat from the peppers in the chicken rouladen. I found this recipe on the Internet of course. It was the Grand Prize winning recipe in a "Pilgrim's Pride" chicken contest. For the coating it utilizes crushed tortilla chips which adhered to the chicken rouladen very well when dipped in the buttermilk. The flavours just explode in your mouth!!! But watch the HEAT!!!!!!!! I hope that next time poblano chilies will be available because they are not as hot for those of us who are a little more timid. It is great no matter what though!!!I served it with Mexican Rice , a simple tossed salad and a Mexican flatbread from the bakery.

**Tortilla Crusted Chicken Rellenos with Cilantro Sauce**

  • 2/3 cup dairy sour cream
  • 1/3 cup mayonnaise
  • 4 scallions (green onions) chopped finely, green tops included
  • 1 small jalapeno, seeded and diced (I used Olivieri Chipotle Pesto)
  • 3 tablespoons cilantro or parsley, finely chopped
  • 4 small poblano peppers ( I used jalapenos because it was what I could find: maybe a little too hot for me!!!!)
  • 6 oz Pepper Jack cheese, cut into 4 strips (1-1/2 oz) each
  • 1/2 cup buttermilk
  • 1 cup finely crushed tortilla chips
  • 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
  • 3 tablespoon canola oil or vegetable oil

To make Cilantro Sauce, place sour cream in medium bowl. Add mayonnaise, scallions, jalapeno and cilantro. Stir to blend well, cover and refrigerate until serving.

Roast whole poblano peppers over hot grill, under broiler or over gas flame of stove. Turn frequently to ensure even roasting and cook until skin is charred and blistering. Place roasted peppers in plastic bag to steam. When cool enough to handle, cut vertical slit in peppers and remove seeds and stem ends. Remove skins by gently scraping with knife. Rinse, pat dry with paper towels, and stuff each pepper with 1-1/2 stick of cheese. Set aside.

Preheat oven to 375F. Place chicken breasts between sheets of plastic wrap and flatten with meat mallet to 1/4-inch thickness. Place cheese filled pepper in centre of each breast. Fold sides over and roll up, enclosing pepper completely. Secure with wooden toothpicks. Place buttermilk in a shallow bowl. Place crushed tortillas in separate dish and add seasonings, stirring to blend. One by one, dip stuffed chicken in buttermilk and roll in tortilla mixture, pressing lightly to coat all sides. Set aside.

Place oil in a large non-stick skillet and heat on medium high. Place chicken in hot skillet and carefully saute about 3 - 5 minutes per side until lightly browned. Remove chicken to baking sheet coated with baking spray. Bake in preheated oven 20 - 25 minutes until chicken is done and temperature on meat thermometer is 160F.

To serve, remove toothpicks, place on serving plate and serve with Cilantro Sauce.

Serves 4

Best Blogger Tips

20 comments:

  1. Ohhh, I want some of these!! This recipe is right up my alley - now if I could only convince my husband to let me make something a little spicy!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ohh, that looks really delicious. I am going to have to try that one out myself! I can probably get everything over here but the poblano peppers. Do you think green chilies would work?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I couldn't find poblano peppers myself so ended up using jalapenos..perhaps a little too hot for me anyway....so, green chilies would work great Marie!!!

    Got to get your husband to enjoy the "hot stuff" Deborah!!!! Start with a mild salsa perhaps and move up from there!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. DAMN those look good, I would totally eat them, Jalapenos and all. Chicken, cheese, and chiles, yum. What could be better?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those look so good! What a creative recipe...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Valli, your rellenos look delicious! I've never tried crusting chicken with tortilla chips, that's such a great idea. I like some "heat" in my food and I have run out of new ideas for chicken, so this will be a good recipe to try. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my...these look so good!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, my husband will love these...thanks for the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The wonderful thing about foodblogging is seeing all the different things people all around the world cook. These look wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ohhhhhhh That chicken looks really yummy!!!! I may have to fix that for my husband too!! He loves spicy food and chicken too!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, those look incredible! I'll have to go on a poblano hunt.

    ReplyDelete
  12. hi
    valli
    i discovered your blog today and its such a great blog with lovely pictures i have read only a page looking forward to reading the whole blog soon...
    Its such a good idea to attend cooking classes in places where you visit , but how do you know about their existence and which is a good one , pls tell me how you do it so that i too can try doing the same.
    bye
    write to me
    mahek

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Valli...you have a wonderful blog here...everything looks so lovely...and one personal question if you don't mind...how come the name valli..its an Indian name...

    Srivalli
    www.cooking4allseasons.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. I seem to be getting more and more of my recipes from the Internet too but, unlike you, I'm still buying way to many cookbooks!! It's a habit I can't seem to break.

    -Dana

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thank you fro visiting my blog ladies. I am so glad you are enjoying the photos and my blogging journey.

    Mahek...The Internet is a valuable tool when searching for interesting things to do on vacation. I have been interested in cooking schools for years!!! I was going on a trip to Greece for 5 weeks: I booked all my hotels, tours and cooking classes on line. I try and choose trips that sound interesting and just take my chances. I look for the way they advertise the classes and if it sounds fun!!!!! Everything always turns out in the end!!! As it turns out the Greek cooking school on Kea was named as one of the "Top 100 Things" in "Food & Wine" magazine. When it comes to booking hotels I look for comkments on other travel sites to see if there are any negative comments about the hotel and then I just take my chances. A vacation is what you make it and if you are out to have fun then it will be no matter what you choose!!!!!

    Srivalli....I wish I could say that my parents named me after a heroin in a book or something interesting like that. The name Valli is not my real name, but a name I use when I am on the net. A nick name. It comes from my original hotmail account when I called myself valligirl because I live in the Okanagan Valley ( a spin off of the California Valley Girl in the movies in the 80's)A friend of mine is named Lillian and we call her "Lilly of the Valley" after a flower (Lily of the Valley) but a take on the fact that we live in a valley. My name is Val...just simply Val.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Mahek...when looking for cooking schools on the GOOGLE bar of my computer I plug in something like culinary vacations+greece or cooking vacations+greece. There are cooking vacations in India as well!!!!!PLus Italy, France, Mexico, Jordan, Croatia, Turkey...the list would go on forever!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. This looks great, Valli! I love spicy food, although like you, perhaps the poblanos rather than the jalapenos would be more my speed! Goodness, with all of those heavnely spices, and then of course the melting cheese, and your lovely photos...who could resist?! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  18. This looks fantastic! I really like the recipes you have here.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thanks, Valli. This was so delicious!

    Your zucchini sticks remind of my summer afternoons at Sunnyside Resort in Lake Tahoe, California in the late 80's. I made those the night before we had the chicken. Thanks for bringing back a wonderful memory!

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to my home. Thank you for choosing to stay a while and for sharing our lives through food. I appreciate all your support, comments, suggestions, and daily encouragement.

Val

This blog uses comment moderation therefore SPAMMERS, SELF-PROMOTERS and ADVERTISERS will be deleted.