2 August 2007

Bourbon and Brown Sugar Flank Steak with Garlic-Chive Mashed Potatoes

Bourbon and Brown Sugar Flank Steak with Garlic-Chive Mashed Potatoes
I need comfort food!!!!!The last few days have been a little disconcerting to say the least. I am still on holiday and being a "tourist in my own town"...but the "tourist" turned into a landlubber and was grounded for a couple of days. On Monday I drove my daughter to get her laptop fixed (another story) and thought I would stop off at the mall to get her an early birthday present. When I came out the Cavalier "beastie" would not start. Two hours waiting for a tow truck in the blazing sun. Thank goodness for my mechanics.. my mentors..my lifesavers!!!! They were swamped but they looked at it the following morning and replaced a relay that conducts the electricity to the fuel pump. I got off easy!! The only thing it cost me was 2 days of my beach time. All important when you're on holiday!!!



Then comes disconcerting problem #2....my printer did not work, which usually means in my world that I have a virus on my computer. I did a "House Call" which took all day from 4 in the morning until 7 at night. I was grounded from blogging!!!!! Checking out everyone's posts are a good start to my day.

So...now as I mentioned before I need comfort food!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It is barbeque season but this meal is still something I can whip up and throw on the "barbie". I like to use flank steak but you can use whatever kind of steak you prefer as long as you can slice it thinly. The comfort food for me lies (lays) in the mashed potatoes which I can cook on the side burner of my barbeque and you can even use the marinade as a little bit of gravy. The recipe and photo comes from Cooking Light magazine and has been a mainstay in our household for a few years. All I needed was some leftover corn-on-the-cob and I was in comfort food heaven.

I started drooling when I saw similar posts on Janet's blog http://janetishungry.blogspot.com/ and on Peter's blog http://kalofagas.blogspot.com/ with the bourbon marinade for chicken and steak. On to the recipe........

**Bourbon and Brown Sugar Flank Steak with Garlic-Chive Mashed Potatoes**

STEAK

1/4 cup packed dark brown sugar
1/4 cup minced green onion
1/4 cup bourbon
1/4 cup low-sodium soy sauce
1/4 cup Dijon mustard
1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
1/4 tsp Worcestershire sauce
1 (2-lb) flank steak, trimmed
cooking spray
1/2 teaspoon cornstarch

To prepare steak, combine first 7 ingredients in a large zip-top plastic bag; add steak. Seal and marinate in refrigerator 8 hours or overnight, turning bag occasionally. Remove steak from bag, reserving marinade.

Prepare grill. Place steak on grill rack coated with cooking spray, grill 5 minutes on each side or until desired doneness. Let rest 10 minutes. Cut diagonally across the grain into thin slices.
Combine reserved marinade and cornstarch in a saucepan. Bring to a boil, cook 1 minute, stirring constantly. You have gravy!!

POTATOES

3 lbs small red potatoes
6 garlic cloves, peeled
1/2 cup reduce4d-fat sour cream
1/3 cup 2% milk
2-1/2 tablespoon butter
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/4 cup chopped fresh chives

Place potatoes and garlic in a large Dutch oven, cover with water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat, simmer 30 minutes or until tender. Drain.

Return potatoes and garlic to pan, and place over medium heat. Add sour cream, milk, butter, salt, and 1/4 tsp pepper. Mash potato mixture to desired consistency with a potato masher. Stir in chopped chives. Mound 3/4 cup potatoes on one of 8 plates; arrange steak slices around each serving of potatoes. Drizzle with "gravy." Sprinkle with chives.

Serves 8

You are reading this post on More Than Burnt Toast at http://morethanburnttoast.blogspot.com. Excerpts and links may be used, provided that full and clear credit is given to the author/owner of More Than Burnt Toast. All rights reserved by Valerie Harrison.
Best Blogger Tips

7 comments:

  1. That looks superb! Especially the garlic-chive mash! Thanks for the recipe! Sorry to hear about you car issues... :( what a crappy way to spend vacation time...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree about the car issues, but hey I still have 5 more days left to be a "tourist in my own town". Besides I consoled myself with comfort food. Is there a better way?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the addition of bourbon in your steak marinade! I will give it a try. Hope your car is all better and more than that, hope you can get to the blogs!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Woo-hoo...that's a hearty Canadian meal...great idea for sauce too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Car issues can get me really stressed out too. Your steak & mash looks very comforting.

    ReplyDelete
  6. These both sound tasty, especially the "Garlic-Chive Mashed Potatoes".

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the marinade - I'm going to try that on skirt steak

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to my home. Thank you for choosing to stay a while and for sharing our lives through food. I appreciate all your support, comments, suggestions, and daily encouragement.

Val

This blog uses comment moderation therefore SPAMMERS, SELF-PROMOTERS and ADVERTISERS will be deleted.