25 July 2007

Chicken with Balsamic Barbeque Sauce

















This recipe was inspired by Kickpleat over at Everbody Loves Sandwiches . It was posted a while ago, but it has taken me a while to get it on my BBQ. Her photo has stuck in my mind of the beautiful caramelized sauce. Her recipe has fewer ingredients and she says there is some plate licking involved. My version calls for the use of tomato sauce as well. I think that both are wonderful sauces for chicken, steaks or pork chops on the BBQ.

This photo was taken near Kamloops in British Columbia on the Trans Canada Highway. It is a view of the Thompson River. I love to stop at these picnic grounds and drink in the view!



**Chicken with Balsamic Barbeque Sauce**

1 cup balsamic vinegar
3/4 cup tomato sauce
1/3 cup brown sugar
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
4 pieces chicken (any combination)
salt and freshly ground black pepper

1. For the BBQ sauce: Combine all ingredients in a small saucepan and stir until all the ingredients are incorporated and the mixture is smooth. Simmer over medium heat until reduced by 1/3, about 15 - 20 minutes.

2. Place a grill pan over medium heat or preheat a gas or charcoal grill. Season the meat with salt and pepper. Lightly coat with some of the BBQ sauce using a pastry brush. Place the meat on the grill. Place the remaining BBQ sauce, still in the saucepan, over low heat or on the edge of a gas or charcoal grill and allow to gently simmer while the meat cooks. (The side burner works well for this)

3. Cook the chicken about 8 minutes per side.

4. Continually brush the meat with BBQ sauce every few minutes. Remove the meat from the grill and let rest for at least 5 minutes. Serve with the heated barbeque sauce alongside.

5. Alternately, the chicken can be baked in the oven. Preheat the oven to 375F. Place the chicken skin side up in a baking dish and bake for 25 minutes. Remove the baking dish from the oven and spoon the barbeque sauce all over the top of the chicken. Return the baking dish to the oven and bake for another 15 minutes.

Serves 4

You are reading this post on More Than Burnt Toast at http://morethanburnttoast.blogspot.com. Excerpts and links may be used, provided that full and clear credit is given to the author/owner of More Than Burnt Toast. All rights reserved by Valerie Harrison. Best Blogger Tips

6 comments:

  1. Your BBQ sauce sounds lovely. But your photo is so calming. Where was that taken?

    ReplyDelete
  2. The photo was taken up near Kamloops overlooking the Thompson River..in British Columbia.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just found you blog (I linked through a comment you left on Jumbo Empanadas!). I'm so glad I did. This barbecue sauce with balsamic vinegar sounds out of this world. :-) And your river photo is stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I get a number of comments asking me where my photos are taken. The photo is only as beautiful as the subject itself!. From now on my posts will include where the photos are taken ...for the curious!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That photo is stunning!

    Thanks for the comment on my blog about cooking school in Greece, I actually emailed them immediately and asked if I could be a volunteer. Unfortunately they're already booked through 2008 :(

    ReplyDelete
  6. When you attend the cooking school on Kea in Greece, they treat you like a part of their family. It is a wonderful way to spend 8 days visiting, having dinner, snorkelling, barbeques all with new found friends. It immerses you in their culture. Of course there are some valuabIe cooking lessons thrown in there as well. I always say "the best 8 days of my life so far"

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to my home. Thank you for choosing to stay a while and for sharing our lives through food. I appreciate all your support, comments, suggestions, and daily encouragement.

Val

This blog uses comment moderation therefore SPAMMERS, SELF-PROMOTERS and ADVERTISERS will be deleted.