Jenn from Leftover Queen has such great ideas. She has started a Foodie Event "The Royal Foodie Joust". Look under the Food Blog Roll to the right you can find her site, where you will find her forum and enter. I decided to rise to the challenge and enter the joust with my "Dolmas Salad". The 3 ingredients this month were nuts, dried fruit and cheese. There are some other really great entries in the forum. Let the games begin!!!
Photo was taken from a walk along the caldera a few short steps from our hotel on the island of Santorini in the town of Firostefani.
- 1/4 cup pine nuts
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced green onions (white and pale parts only)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1-1/2 cups long grain rice
- 2-1/2 cups fat-skimmed chicken broth or vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup sliced preserved grape leaves (reserve 1/4 cup brine)
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1/4 cup raisins
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped parsley
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh dill
- 1/2 cup grated feta cheese
- 1 lemon, rinsed and quartered
1. In a 4 - 6 quart pan over medium heat, stir pine nuts and 1/4 cup green onions in oil until nuts brown and onions are limp, about 5 minutes.
2. Stir in rice, chicken broth, grape leaves and reserved 1/4 cup brine, lemon juice, raisins, and pepper. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer until liquid is absorbed and rice is tender to bite, 30 - 35 minutes.
3. Fluff rice mixture with a fork, stir in parsley, dill, and remaining 1/4 cup green onions. Allow to cool a little, Mix in feta cheese.
4. Mound salad on a platter and garnish with lemon quarters if desired. Serve at room temperature.
Serves 4 - 6 servings