10 April 2007

My Favourite Falafel with Harissa


















**My Favourite Falafel**
  • 1 cup dried chickpeas
  • 1/2 large onion, chopped (1 cup)
  • 2 Tablespoons fresh parsley, finely chopped
  • 2 Tablespoons fresh cilantro (or 1 use 1/2 teaspoon dried coriander, which I prefer)
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 - 1 teaspoon dried hot red pepper
  • 4 cloves garlic
  • 1 teaspoon cumin
  • 1 Tablespoon chick pea stock (from soaking the chickpeas)
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 4 - 6 Tablespoon flour
  • soybean or vegetable oil for frying
  • pita breads, tops cut off
  • diced onion, diced tomatoes
  • tzatziki sauce, harissa or tahina

1. Put the chickpeas in a large bowl and add enough water to cover them by at least 2 inches. Let soak overnight, drain reserving 1 T chickpea stock.

 
2. Place the drained, uncooked chickpeas in the bowl of a food processor fitted with a steel blade. Add the parsley, cilantro or coriander, alt, hot pepper, chick pea stock, garlic and cumin. Process until blended but not pureed.

 
3. Sprinkle in the baking powder and 4 T of the flour, and pulse. You want to add enough of the flour so that dough forms a small ball and no longer sticks to your hands. Turn into a bowl and refrigerate, covered for several hours.

 
4. Form the mixture into 12 patties. Dust lightly with flour and fry in hot oil, turning frequently until browned and crisp. Drain on paper towels.

 
5. Put a patty in a pita pocket, top with sauce, diced tomatoes and onions.

 
**Harissa**
  • 1/2 lb red chilies, stemmed, seeded, chopped
  • 6 garlic cloves
  • 1 teaspoon caraway
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1-1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
  • 1-1/2 teaspoon cumin
  • 1 teaspoon coriander
  • olive oil

1. Place peppers and garlic in a food processor and process until coarsely ground. Add remaining ingredients except the olive oil and process until smooth. To store, place in a small jar, top with a thin layer of olive oil and refrigerator until ready to use.

 
Makes 1 cup

 
Photo was taken on the island of Santorini in the town of Oia. One of the locals! Best Blogger Tips

5 comments:

  1. We love this felafel recipe and are so glad you were my partner for Taste & Create VIII.

    -Elizabeth

    P.S. I can't believe that this is the first comment for this wonderful recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Felafel! I have had dry felafal and that which was so moist on the inside and delicately crisp on the outside I salivated for more. I will make these and add them to my repertoire of fun (and healthy) foods to make.
    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you like them Bonnie. Falafels are one of my favourite dishes, bar none.

      Delete
  3. Ok, so I have now made these falafels for the second time. They are easy and absolutely delicious! I confess secretly (now openly) bookmarking your post as MY favorite falafel now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I honor your falafel, tahini and tzatziki as the first thing cooked on my new stove delivered about an hour ago! Cheers! <3

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to my home. Thank you for choosing to stay a while and for sharing our lives through food. I appreciate all your support, comments, suggestions, and daily encouragement.

Val

This blog uses comment moderation therefore SPAMMERS, SELF-PROMOTERS and ADVERTISERS will be deleted.