25 August 2007

Chunky Potato & Swiss Chowder....MY ULTIMATE SOUP!!!!


















Not all foods can be related to some enjoyable or significant event in our lives. Some foods just "ooze" comfort. Soup for me has to be one of those comfort foods that make you want to wrap yourself in a blanket and enjoy a relaxed state of mind for a change. Couch Potato it is!!!


Of course it is still summer here and we are still melting, but, the evenings are getting cooler once again. All the wonderful fall vegetables and fruits are at the market, and the pumpkins are visible in their patches. I am waiting anxiously for my favourite season !!! I have visions of myself sitting by the fireplace with a good book enveloped in a warm blanket ...and sipping soup!!! Once the cooler weather comes I will be able to get back into hiking and long walks. I have joined the Steps Out Program once again on my quest to win 2 free tickets to Europe for the most steps taken in a year. ( I just have to remember to always wear my pedometer).

This soup comes from "Cooking Light" magazine and has been my favourite soup recipe for a number of years. The creaminess and robust flavours of this soup are right up my alley and I enjoy every mouthful.

Photo taken at Davidson's Orchards in Vernon, British Columbia.

**Chunky Potato and Swiss Chowder**
  • cooking spray
  • 2 cups thinly sliced leeks (about 2 large)
  • 2 garlic cloves, minced
  • 4 cups cubed, peeled Yukon Gold potatoes (about 1-1/2 lbs)
  • 1 cup cubed carrot (about 1/2 lb)
  • 1 cup cubed yellow squash (such as butternut or Hubbard)
  • 2 (14 oz) cans fat-free, less-sodium chicken or vegetable broth
  • 2 bay leaves
  • 1 cup hot cooked wild rice
  • 1 cup half-and-half cream
  • 1/2 cup Swiss cheese, shredded
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon pepper
  • chopped fresh parsley

1. Heat a large Dutch oven coated with cooking spray over medium-high heat. Add leek and garlic; saute 3 minutes or until tender. Stir in potatoe amd next 4 ingredients (potatoe through bay leaves); bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 20 minutes or until tender. Discard bay leaves.

2. Place half of the potatoe mixture in a blender, and process until smooth. Return pureed potatoe mixture to pan; stir in rice and the remaining ingredients except parsley. Cook over medium heat until cheese melts. Sprinkle with parsley if desired.

Serves 4 - 5
Best Blogger Tips

5 comments:

  1. oooo this sounds so good! I can't wait until fall so I can start making soups again. I will be trying this one out for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We are finally getting some actual rain after a very long, extremely dry summer in Georgia, and although its far from cool here yet, this soup sounds so perfect for a rainy "fall's around the corner" kind of day. I'm printing it and will definitely be making it soon. Thanks, Valli! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. thank you for posting this recipe. I am always looking for a good potato soup recipe, and I love cooking light recipes!

    ReplyDelete
  4. In addition to the dishes themselves, there are certains words or names of dishes that bring to mind feelings of comfort. Soup and chowder are definitely 2 such words.

    Thank you so much for stopping by my blog and helping me to discover yours! I've added you to my feeds so that I never miss another of your posts.

    Do come back and visit when you can. And thank you very much for sharing some of your childhood thoughts. Truly appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I, too, love it when it gets cool enough to start eating soup. My favorite!! This chowder sounds so good and so interesting. I will be trying it soon!

    ReplyDelete

Welcome to my home. Thank you for choosing to stay a while and for sharing our lives through food. I appreciate all your support, comments, suggestions, and daily encouragement.

Val

This blog uses comment moderation therefore SPAMMERS, SELF-PROMOTERS and ADVERTISERS will be deleted.